advertisement

CD Player clamping mechinism

Toby Jug

Hi everyone,

This is more a mechanical problem rather than electrical.

My TEAC P500 cd transport was giving me problems, the motor seemed unable to rotate the screw thread that in turn rotated a column which raises and lowers the puck that clamps the cd to its platter?

I have installed a new motor and it is still unable to rotate the screw thread.

I have cleaned off all the old grease and all the threads seems clean and even.

The motor is able to turn the screw thread alone but when I re mesh that to the gear on the rotating column it is unable to move.

Is it time to find another transport so salvage the mechanism?

Any thoughts on anything else to try? :(

Is the "driving" voltage correct?

Sounds like it is not receiving its correct power requirements

Thanks for the suggestion. I will measure this at the weekend as my workbench doubles as a home office during the week.

However the motor pulley does slip under the drive belt so I assumed it was resistance coming from the gears that was the problem :confused:

How do I know what the correct voltage should be, I cannot find this on line anywhere?

If the motor is turning and the belt is slipping and therefore not driving the screw then as you say it is the mechanism that is malfunctioning.
You probably need to remove the mech from the machine and get it on a bench so you can play with it. Could just be dust/dirty and needing of a good clean / re-lube. Metal or plastic?

Is there a belt between motor and screw? Some mechs don't... if there Is replace belt, if not its sticky grease or under voltage

Is there a belt between motor and screw? Some mechs don't... if there Is replace belt, if not its sticky grease or under voltage

yes there is a belt which I replaced, which appears to be the right tension to grip the pulleys.

I degreased every moving part in case too much of it was locking one of the moving parts on their steel axles and wiped the belt with IPA in case I had contaminated it with grease but that did not cure the problem. When the controller attempting to operate the motor its pulley was applying tension to the belt until the pulley slipped which happens about 1Hz which suggests to me that the motor is applying enough torque and the belt has enough grip but the transfer of drive across the screw to the gear on the column has too much resistance.

I will check the driving voltage at the motor this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions so far :)

Is the "driving" voltage correct?

Sounds like it is not receiving its correct power requirements

So the motor is getting a steady 5.9V, the motor pulley is slipping under the drive belt and I am wondering if the new belt I got is just a bit loose. I'll source a slightly smaller one and see if that makes a difference.

I'll report back in case anyone might be interested ;)

Have you tried turning the pulley on the mechanism by hand to see how tight it is?

Yes, I can take the motor, screw gear and column out as a unit, as they are all mounted on a folded steel plate. When I tried to rotate the gears they felt tight to me however both ran freely when the other was removed.

I replaced the motor and drive belt when I first started to investigate the problem, but I don't really know what the correct tension is for a square section drive but there now feels like there is more friction between the motor and screw gear, just not enough to turn the rest of the mech.

Thank you for all your help.

After a slightly tighter belt and some moving around of a few washers I managed to get free movement of the mechanism. So it is working properly again.

Unfortunately its shelf has been usurped by the new arrival of a Sony CD 338ESD. A nice problem to have :)

advertisement

Back