advertisement

CD Master Clock upgrade

keithsnaim

Gone Fishing
A question for all you Pfm'rs. What type of Master Clock have you fitted, to what , and why ?. What are your findings after doing the mod ?. Thanks

My first clock upgrade was a Trichord clock2 on an old Arcam Alpha, recently I have had a Chevron Audio clock on a Teac P500 transport. In both cases the upgrade was well worth it giving a more natural sound and an increase in detail. Your milage may vary depending on how good your cdp is, newer players may have better clocks as std these days.

Will be adding a tentlabs clock on a PFM Flea to my CD3.5 in the next few weeks.. :)

Sam

You could easily spot the improvement in earlier players with a trichord clocks added. I am tho' sceptical about bettering the set ups within newer machines with far better jitter and clock accuracy built in. I did put an Audiocom into a Meridian DVD and could not tell if it was better because I had changed the system and it was a long time since I listened to the machine anyway. I opened it up and spotted three clocks in there already! I assumed Adiocom repalced the one that the other two were referenced against, or does it not work like that? When I sent the machine back to Meridian for a new ROM drive they neatly disconnected the Audiocom board and reinstated the original crystal without a by your leave.

Trichord clock 2 & 3 on different Philips CD850.

The clock 3 had a dedicated psu and is the most used - difficult to hear too much improvement when I tried that player with an ext DAC, so good all round.

Graham Im looking at an 850mk2 with a clock2 on this desk right now- yup it was an improvement at the time. I added my own psu by cutting the 5v supply off the board and subsitituting an old printer psu.

Mine are both MK1's - what was the difference with the MK2, was it better ?

The PSU was one I knocked together from RS parts, my attempt at the 'never-connected' psu they were flogging !

trichord clock in Micromega Stage3- big difference. Tentlabs clock in 840c- not much if any.

You could easily spot the improvement in earlier players with a trichord clocks added. I am tho' sceptical about bettering the set ups within newer machines with far better jitter and clock accuracy built in. I did put an Audiocom into a Meridian DVD and could not tell if it was better because I had changed the system and it was a long time since I listened to the machine anyway. I opened it up and spotted three clocks in there already! I assumed Adiocom repalced the one that the other two were referenced against, or does it not work like that? When I sent the machine back to Meridian for a new ROM drive they neatly disconnected the Audiocom board and reinstated the original crystal without a by your leave.

Meridian probably does the job properly, with separate clocks for separate purposes.

Anyway, be aware very many dvd players use one 27mhz master clock to suit the video side. PLLs are then used to scale this for the audio bits (and other frame rates etc). The result is that any benefit from swapping-out the 27mhz clock for 'better' gets lost in the noise of the PLLs... i.e. its very nearly pointless.

I am thinking about a Trichord 2 for my old Nad C520. Never fitted anything like this before, 16.9344mhz model. Think it should improve the sound !!!.. If this works out then i may try and bring the old Meridian MCD back to life.

Tent labs XO 3.2 + XO supply on a home built cd player with cd pro 2LF module used as CD transport with an audio note dac.

Installed 4 days ago.

Clock upgrade + buffering and reclocking of the spdif out.

More detail, more 3D, cleaner bass.

Maybe too clean :)

Now I'm listening...

still using a Trichord Clock 2 (without its dedicated power supply) in a Marantz CD52II Special Edition feeding a dac-in-the-box (remember that?) external DAC. Noticed a significant improvement in terms of clarity when I first installed it but yes it appears modern players now acknowledge the importance of jitter reduction. (I must play around with it to see how the player sounds without the external DAC- it was such a long time ago since I experimented!) I want a Rega Appolo now to blend with my other rega gear. Anyone got a black one for sale?

advertisement

Back