advertisement

CD cleaning recommendations

I use dishwashing liquid - very gently spreading the liquid mixed with water over the CD surface. Then run under the tap (slow flow to avoid turbulence) to wash the soap off. If the CD is properly cleaned, the water will not cling to the surface because of surface tension except for perhaps a few small remaining droplets. You can let these dry off naturally. Some minor water marks may remain but that's ok.

Drying the CD with towels or napkins risks scratching the surface. It's very very susceptible to scratches. If you must, dab but don't wipe.

Not trying to be precious, but using what is to hand in the bathroom I've found that Dove hand soap and gently brushing it around with a badger-hair shaving brush works fine. I bet that's what Vuk does, too.

The only thing I can add the advice : that instead of wet paper to clean CD's- substitute cotton wool balls or pieces. There is far less chance of any abrasion of CD surfaces, taking place
After rinsing any traces of detergent off with water : seeing beads of water on the rinsed disc, dab with clean cotton wool and keep using more, until any such strands or 'dags' disappear, Any water 'marks' left, just breathe gently on the disc and buff the 'fog' off.
It works every time for me with no damage to the disc.

advertisement

Back