advertisement

CD cases plastic or cardboard?

I much prefer the cardboard book type cases with a plastic cd holder inside and maybe information pages attached as in a book that some labels eg Harmonia Mundi use with their budget labels. Much nicer to touch and hold ( a little memory of the cardboard LP sleeves of old) and I suspect more durable esp in the short run where the plastic cases get scratched, the hinges break and start to look naf? So I wish they would become a standard. Cardboard cases can take atleast 2 cds with the information pages in the middle?

Amen my brother Cardboard CD sleeves is where it is at.:cool:

The other annoying thing about plastic cases, apart from the hinges breaking, is the difficulty of getting the inlay card out of the case without creasing it and fraying the edges. They're really badly designed.

Wow! Rounded corners instead of squared. What an incredible innovation !!!!!:rolleyes:

They're actually a lot better. Big strong hinges and the inlay card goes in from the top with more room for thick booklets. I've got a few of them, most came with SACD's.

My favourites are the boxes of albums in cardboard sleeves.

I have a Dr John set of 5 albums like that. It's lovely because it doesn't hog shelf space like the silly plastic boxes full of air.

It's a shame there aren't more like it.

Wow! Rounded corners instead of squared. What an incredible innovation !!!!!:rolleyes:

Have you ever actually seen or used them? I have a few and they are much more robust than the basic plastic case. Having said that that I still prefer the better card cases.

Agree - but wish they all came in standard size - hate having to store larger ones horizontally that won't fit cd shelves vertically!

Cardboard with plastic CD retainer inside is good. Jewel-case is good – especially if they are well-built. The only think I can't stand is a CD inside a cardboard sleeve. Loose inside cardboard damages the CD and is hard to get out, a protector sleeve inside a cardboard sleeve means they are at least equally hell to get out of the sleeve.

Fave jewel-cases are those used for SACDs. Robust easy to open and CD kept safe.

advertisement

Back