advertisement

CD cases plastic or cardboard?

mercalia

pfm Member
I much prefer the cardboard book type cases with a plastic cd holder inside and maybe information pages attached as in a book that some labels eg Harmonia Mundi use with their budget labels. Much nicer to touch and hold ( a little memory of the cardboard LP sleeves of old) and I suspect more durable esp in the short run where the plastic cases get scratched, the hinges break and start to look naf? So I wish they would become a standard. Cardboard cases can take atleast 2 cds with the information pages in the middle?

Nah, sorry - cardboard gets dog-eared with edge wear and fingerprinting long before plastic cases get scratched .... price labels won't come off cardboard so easily ....

Nah, sorry - cardboard gets dog-eared with edge wear and fingerprinting long before plastic cases get scratched .... price labels won't come off cardboard so easily ....

I agree, apart from the dog ears mentioned there is the problem with the cardboard scratching or otherwise damaging the disc.

The Mona Lisa was painted on board. I'd imagine Leonardo would have painted it on plastic if he'd had the opportunity.

I think the jewel box was a flawed design that nobody's thought to improve on, However, I still transfer CDs which come in cardboard to a case.

As bad as the plastic case is, the cardboard case is worse.

I think the jewel box was a flawed design that nobody's thought to improve on, However, I still transfer CDs which come in cardboard to a case.

As bad as the plastic case is, the cardboard case is worse.

I rip all my CDs, and prefer to see a line of cardboard spines on the shelf.

I rip all my CDs, and prefer to see a line of cardboard spines on the shelf.

But they ain't records.

For cd's I throw the case and file in thin plastic slip cases and cut out the important notes and place with them, an exception to this are the rare ones which I retain entirely.

Bloss

I wish they would become a standard

Tad late I think - CD is almost over. At five for £5 I don’t care what they come in and I’d be surprised if anyone still bothers buying them new for dozy money.

I agree, apart from the dog ears mentioned there is the problem with the cardboard scratching or otherwise damaging the disc.

well yes and no - some cheap ones have a simple cardboard sleeve for the disc. No to those, but some have a plastic insert like in the plastic cases - yes to them. As for dog eared I wonder if they are just too small for that? The would suffer the patina of age like LPs but plastic cases just get scratched and you want to just bin them?

I prefer plastic, but better yet are the big record size wallets, 4" deep. I store artwork on top a d disc below, easy browsing on the sofa.

...but some have a plastic insert like in the plastic cases - yes to them. As for dog eared I wonder if they are just too small for that? The would suffer the patina of age like LPs but plastic cases just get scratched and you want to just bin them?
Yes, it was clear to me the sort of cases you were referring to in your original post and I agree, much better than the 'orrible plastic affairs or the cardboard slip sleeves.

Although I just rip 'em & store, I cannot imagine them being particularly susceptible to damage, unless you're deliberately rough in handling them.

trouble with cardboard cases is that sometimes the CD fits so tightly inside that it's impossible to remove without getting fingerprints all over it.

Once ripped, undoubtedly plastic cases keep the CD better in storage.

trouble with cardboard cases is that sometimes the CD fits so tightly inside that it's impossible to remove without getting fingerprints all over it.

Once ripped, undoubtedly plastic cases keep the CD better in storage.

cant see why that should be so if they have the same type of plastic insert you have in the complete plastic case?

Card too easy to get tatty for me.

Buying most CDs 2nd hand I find about 1 in 10 are damaged so I collect others plastic castoffs and replace.

As for reading anything on any sort of CD case they usually make it way too small to be useful. If desperate I add a magnifier of some sort to my glasses.

Digipak for me. Especially if they have the centre holder with four fingers, rather than the multiple very breakable fingers found in most jewel cases.
digipak-259x300.jpg

advertisement

Back