Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cause of sibilance?

Discussion in 'audio' started by mjhill1234, Aug 5, 2022.

1. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

I had massive sibilance when trying to use a Rega Elys with a Naim MM (322) phono stage way back. I suspect it was due to the Naim's 470pF loading impedance. I changed the cartridge in the end for a K9 we had lying around! Silly really, as I could have altered the MM cards any time I wanted. Now I redesigned mine with switchable loading and 100pF is the sweet spot for Rega arm leads and the VM95.

mjhill1234 and Durmbo like this.
  2. mjhill1234

mjhill1234 pfm Member

Found the manual in the box but it’s exactly the same as the online PDF https://www.audion.co.uk/PDF files/Premier Pre-amps manuals/premier_pre-amp_manual_english.pdf

not a sausage about anything variable.

I have a passive preamp with a stepped attenuator sat around doing nothing but I assume it’s a silly idea to try putting that before the input to the photo stage.

VTA if anything is a tiny fraction down at the back but also that MOFI vinyl is on the heavy side.

Thanks

3. mjhill1234

mjhill1234 pfm Member

Thank you. Unless my digital gauge is well off I have tried going to the upper range of the VTF and notice little difference.

4. a.palfreyman

a.palfreyman pfm Member

Had another look at the specs. Coil inductance: IQ3 is 570uH and VM95ML is 550uH so I'm pretty certain if it was excessive capacitance, they'd both suffer.
    No. It's unlikely to be 47k/150pF input loading. However if making a lead is too troublesome then make it up using a 6-way chocolate block. You'll need to cut a pair of leads or make something up. Incoming signal from cart goes to 22k in series with 47k which goes to incoming screen. Outgoing to amp goes to junction of 22k and 47k, screen to incoming screen. One for each channel. Put this into a ziplock bag and place inside a (clean!) bean or soup tin. This tin just needs a wire soldering or croc clipping to it which you connect to the earth connector on your MM stage so it screens the choc block circuit.

5. Paul Hindle

Paul Hindle Do you mock me?

When I was in a band many moons ago we used to test the mics by saying “Sibilance, Sibilance”. I’m sure we heard it an movie though :). I also used some Gotham GAC interconnects between my streamer and amp once. Never again. The Sibilance was so bad that I googled reviews of the cables and Whathifi had found the same thing.

6. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

The only Rega I've tested shows a big mechanical resonance. cf

https://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/LP4/NewLampsForOld.html

Jim