advertisement

CAT 5e vs. Cat6 etc.

stackowax

pfm Member
I'm going to hardwire my Roon server to the internet modem/router--which involves pulling data cable through walls floors--so I'd rather not do this more than once. Is there any reason to use anything other than CAT 5e?

CAT6 or 6A, 6A is dearer but screened and good for 10Gb you can still use cheaper CAT5 sockets and patches but infrastructure is future proofed.
Don't get the cheapest go to somewhere like CMS cabling, don't know how much cable your be pulling but 305 m drums are relatively cheap. Get LSZH cable.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm in the US, so I'm not sure I have access to some of the suggested options but will investigate. A number of people over here have suggested Belden's 10GX32 for a CAT6a option. Definitely not the cheapest option, but it is said to very good (in the sense that it meets 6a specifications which, apparently, not all 6a cable does).

The STP type has an addition foil screening so worth considering as well, its a little bit stiffer than UTP though

Alan

The reality is that gig ethernet is what you'll be running for many years to come, so i'd say Cat5e is perfect for your application. 10 gig ethernet has been around for 15 years, and *still* isn't normal - go and try to buy an 8 port 10 gig ethernet switch on amazon and see how many hits you have... The commercial use of 10 gig ethernet has agreed that fibre is the answer, so racks of servers are full of SFP+ ports and fibre cabling, not twisted pairs with their implied crosstalk and limitations.

For a home install, be aware that the long runs of cable are likely to be solid core and designed for installation. This cable type is not very flexible, and fails with repeated bending, so you might want to find some longer patch cable runs which would be better if you have a point to point run. If you want to do it properly with solid core stuff, then you'll want proper wall mounted faceplates, or if you have lots of runs you'll want to think about an ethernet patchbay.

Oh, and if you are going to the trouble of pulling cables through, pull multiple runs as that way you will have a spare if you have problems in the future...

CAT 6 cable will be fine for the next 10 years, I'd choose this in preference to CAT5e
CAT6a and CAT7 cables require a constant STP shield connection - many consumer devices lack this. Running sheilded ethernet cable without appropriate grounding can actually make things worse due increased interference via antenae effect of the ungrounded shield

advertisement

Back