advertisement

Castle Howard S3

pianoman

pfm Member
I wondered if anyone has experience of these as a dealer near me has a part ex pair for 400 (or maybe less for pound notes) It seems a lot of speaker for that money and I 've fancied a pair for a while but if anyone has owned or heard some recently it would be nice to have advice.

I have Howard S2's which I am very happy with. They create a big soundstage and have great scale and depth. The S3's were supposed to be even better. I tried some Shahinian Arcs recently but preferred the Howards, saved myself a grand. Give them a go, at that price they are good vfm. I am using mine with Lp12, ACD3 and Avondale amplification.

Cheers

Anthony

IMHO all the varients of Howards are good with the mk1's being the best,i have a particular fondness for the rosewood ones!!

Thanks guys, these are in oak (I think) anyway, light wood, which is a pity as they do look nice in the darker wood, but at this price i reckon I'll have to give it a go - if fact, I couldn't stop thinking about them last night.......

Replaced the tweeters in mine in January due to grandkids liking to push in the shiny dome, the tweeters are Vifa units.

A chap named Mike Laister up in York seems able to at least service and repair Castle speakers. He has repaired drivers for me in the past very successfully. He may well be able to source spares also.

The original Howards were one of many speakers i listened to when trying to address the ticklish issue of a pair of floorstanders that would sound great with 2 channel stereo, and great in a home cinema set up, They were ok but ended up with a pair of Kelly KT3s.

They are a bit rare but if you can find a pair of them used, they IMO ( provided you can give them room to breathe being front and rear ported) are fabulous for 2 channel and home movie leagues ahead of Howards

I believe they were a Musical Fidelity Michaelson design built by Kelly Transducers

advertisement

Back