advertisement

Cassette Deck. Worth bothering with?

Did anyone use the Aiwa's own noise reduction system was it ANRS?

Gave a less top end intrusive effect than Dolby B. Got loads of tapes that were recorded with it but the deck was burgled away so one is stuffed and cannot enjoy that music.

ANRS was a JVC thing. Always struck me as rather pointless, really - "no, the industry standard methodology isn't good enough for us - we shall invent our own!"

Still, I suppose it was better than the Lloytron cassette deck I once fitted new belts to for someone. It had a button marked "noise reduction" and all this did was introduce a treble filter on playback!

ANRS was a JVC thing. Always struck me as rather pointless, really - "no, the industry standard methodology isn't good enough for us - we shall invent our own!"

Still, I suppose it was better than the Lloytron cassette deck I once fitted new belts to for someone. It had a button marked "noise reduction" and all this did was introduce a treble filter on playback!

Thanks for the background.

Any personal comments to make about anyone?

At the time, some of the Japanese giants had a corporate policy that they would pay royalties to no man, and this was to avoid such payments to Dolby Laboratories.

ANRS was functionally so similar to Dolby B as to make little difference. It was pretty much interchangeable. I'm actually surprised that Dolby didn't sue.

At the time, some of the Japanese giants had a corporate policy that they would pay royalties to no man, and this was to avoid such payments to Dolby Laboratories.

ANRS was functionally so similar to Dolby B as to make little difference. It was pretty much interchangeable. I'm actually surprised that Dolby didn't sue.

Subjectively on my machine it was much lighter and less intrusive than the Dolby B setting. That is why most of my tapes were recorded using it. But I am not a subjectivist just subjectively make my choices.

No, I don't think so, although the sales rep I had a meeting with yesterday had a big black hair growing out of the mole on her cheek, which was rather distracting.

You were so distracted you couldn't photograph it? I hate getting phone calls from people who have your name on a list and want to change your world with their service/products. Rather like PFM is sometimes when the advice threads start.

I hope I'm not out of tune by posting something actually on the thread subject?

:confused:

I've fixed this 40-year old deck a couple of days ago. Surprisingly, all the rubber bits (belts, idlers) are still in an excellent shape and did not require replacement. The AC motor is fine and the GX head is like new (unlike later "Super GX" heads which were crap, that one was made using the same technology as Akai R2R heads). I've fixed an electronics fault, replaced the pinch roller and did a good cleaning and lubrication where required, including switches and pots. The deck is so old that though it has a Low Noise/Chrome tape selector switch, the PB EQ is the same for both types, only the recording parameters are changed. I did a couple of mods to get the PB EQ to the standard values for both types and adjusted the recording as well. It plays music very well, better than many expensive later decks. Quite happy with the result :cool: .

Cheers

Alex

GXC46D_01.jpg

GXC46D_02.jpg

I've used a cassette deck - the Tascam 122mkIII-M9 - at the UK National Audio Show '13 in Whittlebury last weekend, in the Analogue Alchemy setup. Not many people realised that they were listening to a cassette when it was playing. I suppose it was a good way to celebrate the Compact Cassette 50th anniversary.

Cheers

Alex

Whittlebury2013_01.jpg

Whittlebury2013_02.jpg

I have owned from new a Nakamichi 581 and NR 200 noise reduction unit purchased from Unilet in Malden Surrey in 1981, had the deck serviced at B & W about 10 years ago. Great piece of kit the Rolls Royce of cassette decks. Once met Julian Veereker of Naim and his opinion was the Neal cassette sounded better, personally i don't think so. I still have my deck and use it occassionally. My opinion the Naks are the best.

Regards,

Martin

advertisement

Back