advertisement

Cassette Deck Recommendation

Gaius

pfm Member
Looking for a nice tape deck in good working order. Budget say £100 -250 ish

I have some audio books on cassette I'd like to listen to via my Grado SR325e headphones also the odd music tape.

Having a variable output/volume control for the phones is essential as the deck will not be connected to the system, strictly for monitoring via cans.

I like the older looking players including top loaders but am open to suggestions.

Also if anyone is selling anything in top condition do let me know.

Thanks.

My cousin is a cassette deck nut, he has a Technics RS-BX701, it’s one of the best sounding decks I’ve heard and has all the features you require. If you can find a clean one, I’d buy it.

Well, this does depend on the kind off outlay you want to put on one of these but I do have a tip top condition Nakamichi Cassette deck 1 sitting in a box, been there for some time, willing to part with this. Hasn't been checked recently tho.

Doh. Scratch that. Both Technics had it but sold.

Only the Yamaha KX580 SE has it of those remaining.

Looking for a nice tape deck in good working order. Budget say £100 -250 ish

I have some audio books on cassette I'd like to listen to via my Grado SR325e headphones also the odd music tape.

Having a variable output/volume control for the phones is essential as the deck will not be connected to the system, strictly for monitoring via cans.

I like the older looking players including top loaders but am open to suggestions.

Also if anyone is selling anything in top condition do let me know.

Thanks.

TEAC V-1050... paid £150 for mine, a couple of years ago, excellent deck, a steal, mint. Just seen one a couple of days ago on ebay - £100 , refurbished.

I have a Denon DRS-810 lurking in my Spanish property.

I could get No.1 daughter to check its ok if you're interested...

I listed this a few weeks ago, still available:)

'Yamaha KX-580 Special Edition with original manual

Dolby B, C, S, HX Pro

Exc condition, works great. £50 collected or shipped for extra £8'

Last edited:
Cassette deck 1 was an awesome piece of kit.
I couldn't quite stretch to the 1 back in 1993, so settled for the 1.5. The only difference I think is adjustable playback azimuth, but otherwise the same transport and performance. Probably one less thing to go wrong with age. I'm still staggered how good it sounds even with humble TDK-D tape.

I have an Aiwa adf-660 which I might consider selling. It’s not variable volume but it does have a switch for Hi.Lo headphone output and works very well with my senheisers. It’s just not getting the use these days. Serviced and recapped 2019 £250

@James

Agreed on the 1.5. It was the best deck I ever had, including some other Naks.
It murdered my 505, as much as I loved the auto reverse and even after being fettled, it had to go.
My 1.5 has also been moved on when my cassette recording days were done.

I've been reunited with my 1.5. At least I'm pretty sure it was mine when I stupidly traded it in for some Naim. I thought I could reclaim some of the cassette magic with a Pioneer CT-95. Whilst the Pioneer gave a technically great result in terms of FR and speed stability, it didn't boogie like the Nakamichi 1.5. This time, I don't think it'll be going anywhere. I have around 200 NOS TDK D, AD, AD-X, SA and SA-X cassettes to feed it with.

advertisement

Back