advertisement

Cartridge, sleeve...Repair?

Seanm

pfm Member
A story as old as time. First time I've done it, and on a nearly new ART9: cantilever askew, and twisted too - you can just see the new stylus angle here:

50993443098_49823be3b7.jpg

What are my options here? Is it toast?

Please nobody mention accidental damage claims :).

Thanks both.

Cantilever itself and stylus seem to be OK: looks like the pivot to which the cantilever's attached has been twisted.

50993835098_d1e328116c.jpg

You'll just have to send it to Goldring and see what the expert says.
Turnaround was really fast for me, and they didn't charge much. But mine wasn't as bad as that.
They said that they get a lot of bent cantilevers to straighten.

Nothing to add except I feel your pain (yellow dusters are my weapon of choice). I’ve done it a couple of times, but not with anything that nice!

You'll just have to send it to Goldring and see what the expert says.
Turnaround was really fast for me, and they didn't charge much. But mine wasn't as bad as that.
They said that they get a lot of bent cantilevers to straighten.
David's asked me to send it in, thinks it might be salvageable but it will be touch and go. Great service I have to say.

Nothing to add except I feel your pain (yellow dusters are my weapon of choice). I’ve done it a couple of times, but not with anything that nice!

Sod's law really that the first cart I trash in nearly 40 years would be my most expensive, by some margin, *and* almost brand new!

Aah the joys! I remember a long time ago after eagerly anticipating the return of my Entre MC cartridge from the Garrott Bros in Australia where it had been serviced and fitted with a Microscanner stylus I then heavy handedly dropping it onto its very first record and the suspension collapsed. Another round trip to Oz.

Good luck I’m sure it will be saved.

Please nobody mention accidental damage claims :).
Sod's law really that the first cart I trash in nearly 40 years would be my most expensive, by some margin, *and* almost brand new!

After reading your second sentence, I wonder why you wrote the first. Claims history, possibly? If Goldring can readjust the canti. for a modest sum that's obv. the better choice, but if not, the value of this nearly new cart. would warrant serious consideration for a claim under 'Audio-visual', which in most cases includes accidental damage on a contents policy.

advertisement

Back