advertisement

Cartridge Longevity

Troika suspension only good for five years? That doesn't really tally with people's experience of them here. I know of several that are three or four retips new, twenty years old and still going great guns.

Troika suspension only good for five years? That doesn't really tally with people's experience of them here. I know of several that are three or four retips new, twenty years old and still going great guns.

Yes I noticed that. Forums are so entertaining!

Indeed, I agree, though this is a generalisation. MICK, your CD and record sound (almost?) identical now, but what was the situation a year or two ago.. Was this always the case?

Mike

I admit to being a bit generalist in my description. The LP does indeed sound warmer than the CD and more pleasant to listen to. The detail and bass from both was pretty well on par and the LP did indeed seem to sound the same as it did a long time ago.

So to sum up, I would rather listen to the LP than the CD.

It was this apparent non deterioration over eight years that caused me to write the question in the first place.

Regards

Mick

Comparing vinyl to CD often tells you very little as you are likely comparing different masterings/cuts made at different mastering studios and by different mastering engineers.

Comparing vinyl to CD often tells you very little as you are likely comparing different masterings/cuts made at different mastering studios and by different mastering engineers.

I agree, it can be a very misleading comparison to make for a variety of reasons.

This thread does highlight the potential difficulties of maintaining an excellent vinyl replay system, it is a great shame that there is not an easier mechanism for trying out alternative cartridges etc, that's before you even get to the stage of trying to assess wear etc.

The Linn Arkiva fitted to my LP12, which I went to after being convinced it would be better than my previous Troika (wrong! The worst Hi-fi decision I ever made) was over twelve years old & I was convinced it needed replacing. However, I got Peter Swain at Cymbiosis to check it out & he pronounced it to be fine. At my request he did, however, go on to demonstrate the DV Te Kaitora Rua which made me appreciate just what a cr*p cartridge the Arkiv was, although I admit it didn't get much use over those twelve years.

I've found in the past one of the best tests for cartridges is to listen for excessive sibilance.

At this point I would like to put in a plug for comparative cartridge demos. This is something Martin Colloms has been doing for many years…and it is not the only reason that I find his reviews of MC cartridges very reliable.

Using one’s ears to choose a cartridge is always a good idea: using it to determine stylus wear always a bad one, unless the cartridge is too far gone. Better safe than sorry.

Colloms reviewed the DV Te Kai alongside the DV XX2(II) side by side, with objective tests and subjective listening reports.
He said, ‘hand on heart’ there was not a lot of difference (subjectively) between the two.

On the strength of his comment I bought a DVXX2 (II). (NB: this is NOT the same cartridge as the XX1). Given the superb DV refurbishment scheme I did, in due course, not only take advantage of it but am so pleased with the XX2(II) that I also bought a second DVXX2(II). The XX2(II) is a bargain at the price.

The Te Kai uses the 'absence of an outer body' method of eliminating resonances, the XX(II) uses an ingenious method. It simply cuts open the bottom of the body, thereby largely protecting the cart from user accidents and eliminating almost as much resonance.

The XX2 is very robust in construction and, for me, importantly, is relatively immune from sound changes in colder listening rooms.

Indeed, listening comparisons are really important but to be meaningful they've got be in a similar system to your own. I've found my ARO a real advantage for facilitating this, and if you've a friend with a spare arm it makes it pretty easy. I have listened to the DV XX2 Mk2 in my system because a friend was thinking of buying one. It's very good but not up to the TKR in my system.

Regarding comparative demonstrations of cartridges - I've wondered before how 'reasonable' this is.

If the cartridges you're seeking to compare are say £100 then it's hardly worth the dealer's time. On the other hand if they're £1,000 then you'd expect them to go the extra mile.

But then what does the dealer do with a collection of now used second-hand cartridges afterwards especially bearing in mind that there is probably not a flood of people coming through the door looking to buy..

Indeed, listening comparisons are really important but to be meaningful they've got be in a similar system to your own. I've found my ARO a real advantage for facilitating this, and if you've a friend with a spare arm it makes it pretty easy. I have listened to the DV XX2 Mk2 in my system because a friend was thinking of buying one. It's very good but not up to the TKR in my system.

Having done the demo my view is that the big jump is to the XV1s. More significant than XX2 to TKR. S to T as big again but at a price!

I did a comparison between the XV1s & Linn Kandid recently. A friend's got a very similar system to mine & he kindly lent me his spare arm so my dealer could fit a demo Kandid, which I then fitted in my own system for comparison with the TKR. Clearly better. Then I took the arm with Kandid fitted over to his system & we did a comparison with his XV1s. There were three of us listening & it was fascinating how much we differed in our perceptions over what we heard.

I preferred the Kandid, someone else much preferred the DV, and the other friend was undecided. Opinions on characteristics such as bass, mid, treble, scale, and stereo image varied significantly between us. I ended up buying a Kandid but in truth both are superb cartridges and I'd have been happy with either. It's very difficult to carry out these sorts of comparisons but you do learn a lot from them.

Every couple of years I buy a new cart, as there seem to be a good few out there offering excellent performance within the price range I can justify, and I know that my records sound ace. Winning strategy.

I did a comparison between the XV1s & Linn Kandid recently. A friend's got a very similar system to mine & he kindly lent me his spare arm so my dealer could fit a demo Kandid, which I then fitted in my own system for comparison with the TKR. Clearly better. Then I took the arm with Kandid fitted over to his system & we did a comparison with his XV1s. There were three of us listening & it was fascinating how much we differed in our perceptions over what we heard.

I preferred the Kandid, someone else much preferred the DV, and the other friend was undecided. Opinions on characteristics such as bass, mid, treble, scale, and stereo image varied significantly between us. I ended up buying a Kandid but in truth both are superb cartridges and I'd have been happy with either. It's very difficult to carry out these sorts of comparisons but you do learn a lot from them.

That's quite an interesting review, thanks.

Kandid and TKR being in the same price range, the Linn has to be special.
Honestly due the Kandid's looks my guess used to be it's just a relabled and uppriced Lyra Kleos or Skala.
In € the XV1s is about 1K above the Kandid, if still some favour the Kandid or are undecided it has to be kind of exceptional.

It would be interesting if anyone ever compared a Kandid to a Lyra Kleos or Skala..

the difference in price wasn't that great when you take into account the exchange scheme offered by DV. My judgement wasn't swayed by the relatively small price difference, it wasn't something I was aware of at the time. The XV1t, however, is a rather different proposition!

advertisement

Back