advertisement

cartridge life & performance

antonio1

pfm Member
IS it true that cartridges after 20 or more years are always unusable and even though diamonds haven't ever been used? such as lacking low frequencies in the bass department?

Any aged NOS cartridge is on;ly as good as the rubber in the suspension. If they used synthetic rubber you might be fine, if they used natural rubber compounds then you are probably screwed.

Troikas seem to go on forever.

Somebody's sentencing to death those vintage carts, I too believe it could still be possible to use them, I once had a vintage late 60's v15 II performing quite good, along with its original NOS stylus bought later. Never missing anything especially in the bass dept. thanks guys

It is going to depend on the rubber. I just unearthed a cassette player rubber drive belt from a box where I know it's been for 25 years. It was fine in 1985, I know well, but useless now.

As a rule of thumb, if an old cartridge rides nice an high off the record's surface then the suspension is probably OK. (no guarantees). I have had a Troika that rode too low, showing that the suspension was shagged. I sold it on for rebuilding as in the main I don't trust rebuilt cartridges.

advertisement

Back