advertisement

Cartridge for vintage Hadcock 228

brab

pfm Member
My current high output Benz Glider is approaching its expected hours limited and I can't afford another one so looking for recommendations not exceeding 400 pounds. I've used a variety of MMs and MCs, Ortofon OMs, Turbo X5, Grace, with only one cartridge sounding awful, unbearably bright, an AT150, going into my EAR 834P. Prefer current production and am open to MM or high output MC. Thanks.

As a regular Benz user I also needed to find a suitable stand in for when the inevitable happens. I found a Denon DL110 into my 834P clone quite acceptable. Ok it doesn't have the same level of detail but it's smooth and inoffensive. My only gripe is that the Denon straight into my 834P is a bit quieter than either of my Benz carts into their respective phono stages. I've been using the Denon for three or four months now in my main system and I haven't rushed to put the Benz back in yet so it can't be too bad can it?

I have found Grado to work well with my GH228. I experimented with a few alternatives (Ortofon, Denon, AT), but a few years ago returned to Grado. Just gets on with the music, and is very easy to set up in the Hadcock. For some time this was into a 834P, but more recently has through an integrated amp.

Yes Grado do some nice carts. I had a grey body Grado in a Mayware arm many years ago and it was pretty good. The Mayware arm isn't that far different to the Hadcock so I'd expect similar results.

Sumiko blue point evo 3 perhaps. Not sure of the suitability , but a nice cartridge. I have used one for the last few years.

My current high output Benz Glider is approaching its expected hours limited and I can't afford another one so looking for recommendations not exceeding 400 pounds. I've used a variety of MMs and MCs, Ortofon OMs, Turbo X5, Grace, with only one cartridge sounding awful, unbearably bright, an AT150, going into my EAR 834P. Prefer current production and am open to MM or high output MC. Thanks.

Why not have it re-tipped ?

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=713&sid=a703659d775a8628aa4ec2b5f19e9ead

advertisement

Back