Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cartridge for old/worn/45s or mono records

Discussion in 'audio' started by gerlando, Jan 22, 2021.

1. gerlando

gerlando pfm Member

Hello guys,
    I’m looking for a cartridge for listening to some old/worn/45s or mono records from the 60s, as the original Beatles or Stones.

deck is a Gyrodec/Nima.

current cartridge is a AT-VM95ML.

Do you think a conical stylus (VM95C) could helps to reduce the background noise without need of changing the cartridge body?

thank you very much.
    Mauro

2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

The usual logic is to use a stylus profile that will read deeper in the groove as most worn records will have been worn by realtively "large" profile styli that read high in the groove. In which case, it rather depends on what profile caused the majority of the wear, but in most cases that would mean using a more expensive cart fitted with one of the "micro" profile styli.

3. gerlando

gerlando pfm Member

Hi Vinny,
    so, the AT-VM95ML I currently have should be good?

4. wd40addict

wd40addict pfm Member

ML is a microline!? The conical has got to be worth a punt given its low price.

5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

If you have any of the worn records, rather than wondering about buying them, and are confident that they are at least reasonably clean, there is no reason not to spin one or two and give them a listen.

Large styli profiles not only ride/read high in the groove, but also do not clean the lower parts of the grooves as they play.

6. Robert

Robert Tapehead

Use your current stylus for best sound.
    However if you have any styrene 45s, keep them away from ML styli. The ML stylus will shred them.

paulfromcamden likes this.
  7. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

That is a really good question Mauro!

I have the same issue, because I have over 1,000 7" singles, and not all of them are in great condition. I have a record cleaning machine, and I clean all of my records, but it is still advantageous to use a stylus with a different profile and to that end, I am using a Rega Carbon on a Rega RB202 mounted on a Stanton ST.150 direct drive, though I am lucky enough to have more than one turntable. The Carbon has a spherical stylus, so I guess in your case, VM95C would help. Certainly I find the the Carbon gets the best out of old records without accentuating noise.

Mr Pig and paulfromcamden like this.
  8. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Agree that it's a good question - I've asked similar in the past on a hi-fi forum and was told to just buy better copies of the records! :confused: (I can only assume the poster was minted or had no interest in old/rare/obscure records..)

Probably not much help to the OP but I find a Stanton 500 really useful at tracking vinyl that's led a hard life.

Robert likes this.
  9. Robert

Robert Tapehead

Good shout. Hundreds of radios stations spanning half a century can't be wrong.

10. ralphj

ralphj pfm Member

Thanks Robert.
    I learn something new every time I come here.
    Some online research led me to these.
    Discogs
    Vinyl Engine

11. gerlando

gerlando pfm Member

Hi Robert,
    how is your new Rega Ania Pro?

I love my standard Ania!

12. Robert

Robert Tapehead

I'm impressed on day 2 - reminds me of the old classic Supex 900 with better tracking. Will post my impressions over the weekend :)

Miss Ariel, Mr Pig and gerlando like this.
  13. Miss Ariel

Miss Ariel pfm Member

Gerlando,

Just a thought but as the AT 95 ML shares the same cartridge body as a 95 E why not just put a 95 E stylus in instead.I think the last 95 E stylus I got was £ 25.

Loving my 95 ML BTW.....

14. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I think conical styluses are very good for old, worn or otherwise iffy records. It's worth noting that the Denon DL103 has a conical stylus and that was designed for broadcast, getting music out of whatever record was under it.

15. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

I have a 103 too (on the LP12). It would be interesting to compare the carbon to the 103 on an old 45! I wonder if the phono stage makes a difference too? I'm running the Carbon through a Rega Fono Mini A2D.

16. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

@gerlando,

One thing to keep in mind is that frequent styli swapping is likely to gradually loosen the fit of each stylus assembly.

Craig

Robert likes this.
  17. Sonny Beauceron

Sonny Beauceron pfm Member

Hi Mauro.

As those (the 45s certainly) will almost all be mono records, have you thought about getting a mono cartridge?

A mono cartridge will retrieve more information from the record and be a lot less noisy.

18. wd40addict

wd40addict pfm Member

19. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

My take is that the best way to listen to 45s is on a relatively Lo-Fi set up. My pile of 45s is out in the shed because they work ok-ish on the limited system out there but just sound crap in the house. 12" singles notwithstanding.

I think whether the 103 or Carbon would would be better would depend on the system. If you have a MM input, the Carbon will sound better ;0)

20. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

That looks like basically a Carbon/AT-1600L stylus for the VM body. Nice as it saves you swapping the cart over though it's a bit cheeky that it costs more than the entire 3600L cartridge!