advertisement

Cartridge dying?

Thanks for your observations guys I'll be having a play with the AS/VTF tonight. Jez just to try and describe it better it's not a clean sound dropout the likes of I heard once with digital timing errors, it's more like playing a very warped record with a cartridge/arm combo that simply can't cope, there is a haphazard distorted effort but only on one channel. I seem to have bought some time but how long it works for remains to be seen.
Btw when it's warm, if I lower the vtf to its norm 2.3 the problem is there so it's not just from cold it appears now.

Once you realise that your cartridge, if not completely knackered, is well on its way out and isn't doing any favours to your records, the better for everything. Of course, it MAY not be the cart., but I think most aspects which may point to this have been aired, and, (unless I'm wrong), somewhat debunked.

We're all different, but in nearly 55 years, I've never had the same cart. twice. Nearest was from Lyra Clavis to Helikon. Enjoyed every one of their different presentational attributes. Try Benz; think you'll like it after Rhomann, and it doesn't require a massy arm.

Thanks Mike I borrowed a friend's spare for a couple of days confirming it's my cartridge. However, tonight I lowered the vtf back to 2.3 and moved the AS weight right to the end of the bar and as we speak it's behaving itself! Is it telling me it needed adjusting, for the first time ever, to compensate for something wearing out within the cartridge?

@Paraheadache,

If I may interject; I suspect that it is telling you so, however, if you can get it to play nicely then no harm will come to your records. Besides, you will be keeping an 'ear' on it so the risk is minimal.

Question: Has it always been in regular use, or have you left it lying fallow for extended periods whilst listening to other 'sources of greater convenience'?

Last edited:
Try Benz; think you'll like it after Rhomann

Sorry, Jubilee; forget to correct this. I agree with Craig, if alignments haven't been adjusted over this long time. Normally, you start a cart. off at max. VTF and ease up a wee bit when everything's settled in. That you're increasing the VTF makes me wonder, though, and biassing, as Craig mentions, is a factor. However, I still think your cart. may be a bit long in the tooth.

I'd normally associate a fault that self corrects after a bit of playing to be suspension related, if fault moves with both cartridge tag and Phono plug in pre amp swaps then that's where my money would be.

As Jez says though it could be coils and the suspension warming up soles it.

Either way it's service time on the cart. The jubilee is a fine performer with the right loading and set up. Maybe just a touch top end forward of absolutely neutral.

I still say it's an electrical fault. Anything else would effect both channels. A work hardened wire can have diodic properties and cause gross distortion.

True enough. But it could be worn stylus on one side, due to undertracking and being under biased and skipping out. That comes through via the wires on the left looking at cart from front.

I suspect that the OP is busy enjoying his records again.

Should he check in later, perhaps he wouldn't mind entertaining us by having a go at his cartridge with a multimeter.

Doh! Yes indeedy, digital only!

(Cue Homer Simpson randomly pulling levers and pushing buttons down the reactor control room.)

I suspect that the OP is busy enjoying his records again.

Should he check in later, perhaps he wouldn't mind entertaining us by having a go at his cartridge with a multimeter.
Haha sorry no music for me tonight child minding duties. Tomorrow night I'll be revisiting a stone cold system hoping it surprises me again and playing well.
Hi fi sound close to me in Stockton will do a cadenza bronze for 1097 with trade in, normally 1499 but of course that's me staying with Ortofon when I wouldn't mind trying another brand. Ortofon charge 1350euro to rebuild the jubilee. I'll see what tomorrow night brings

advertisement

Back