advertisement

Car tyre law

My worry with extended service intervals is that the damage is done over the first few years/thousands of miles, but doesn’t become terminal until 100-200k miles. Frequent oil changes later on don’t undo the wear.
Indeed not, but you can't change the past and old cars are something of a lottery anyway. Look at my previous Jag, it had everything going for it, it was in good order, and the gearbox packed up at only 120k miles.

My worry with extended service intervals is that the damage is done over the first few years/thousands of miles, but doesn’t become terminal until 100-200k miles. Frequent oil changes later on don’t undo the wear.
My car comes with an oil change interval of 30,000km or two years, which ever comes first. I thought, bugger that. I change the oil every 15,000km from new, so the next owner can have a long lasting engine.

My car comes with an oil change interval of 30,000km or two years, which ever comes first. I thought, bugger that. I change the oil every 15,000km from new, so the next owner can have a long lasting engine.

And that’s the thing. If you’re the first owner and intend moving it on after 60k miles, you won’t give a hoot.

Well, £420 for the week, unlimited mileage. All I added was my own excess cover. Not bad really.
That's pretty cheap. If you hired it for a year like that it would cost say £20k, I bet if you bought new and owned it for a year it would cost you more. Makes you wonder how they do it. Well, we know, they get cars for a fraction of list price and sell them on within 6 no ths or 10k miles so they suffer little depreciation.

That's pretty cheap. If you hired it for a year like that it would cost say £20k, I bet if you bought new and owned it for a year it would cost you more. Makes you wonder how they do it. Well, we know, they get cars for a fraction of list price and sell them on within 6 no ths or 10k miles so they suffer little depreciation.
I think this one, 6 months old with 5k miles (6k now) is approaching the end of its time with them. If it has made money for them, I bet they’re happy to get it hired towards the end.

0-70mph uphill on the A66 was quite impressive!

Makes you wonder how they do it.
These days, they need the money, as the traditional rental car customers (business travellers, American tourists) are missing.

In normal times, however, you can usually get some fantastic deals in the off-peak months of January-March and October-November. Like a hotel room, it's always better to let a car at just over cost than leave it idle in hope of a better price.

Well, £420 for the week, unlimited mileage. All I added was my own excess cover. Not bad really.

That is a great deal. I am quite interested in this as a concept, as when I get my Tesla, some trips might not be possible so an occasional rental is on the cards.

its a good price. I got a volvo xc90 on hire for 9 days in Scotland and it is costing me more per day

That is a great deal. I am quite interested in this as a concept, as when I get my Tesla, some trips might not be possible so an occasional rental is on the cards.
It's not a new idea. Back in the 90s there were some very keen London based mountaineers who spent all winter weekends in the Scottish Highlands. After killing a few cars they decided that it was cheaper to hire than own, so the routine was to hire on Friday, blaze up overnight, taling it in turns to sleep and drive, and arrive at stupid o'clock on Saturday. Climb all day, B&B, climb Sunday, drive home. It worked, unlimited mileage meant 1000 miles plus in a weekend, nobody cared. A successful weekend was when they climbed more vertical feet than they drove miles. That's pretty bloody hardcore, I've done it from Leeds and it was hard enough, from London doesn't bear thinking about. But hiring cars between 4 was the best solution. Get a large hatch or estate, easy.

advertisement

Back