advertisement

Car tyre law

richardg

Admonishtrator
Is it ok in uk to change one tyre if it is not the same tyre as the other side?

Just been in Strasbourg with a puncture and as they did not have a match, unless I bought two, they refused to change it. So I limped over to Germany and it was worse. They had the Bridgestone Potenza 245 35 18 that I needed but still would not fit it as it has been improved by Bridgestone and therefore has a different barcode and therefore not legal.

I am no policeman/judge/kwikfit fitter but I am fairly certain it is lawful to replace only one tyre at a time in the UK.

One exception is mixing run flats and non-run flats on the same axle which is a no-no due to handling differences.

Is it ok in uk to change one tyre if it is not the same tyre as the other side?

Just been in Strasbourg with a puncture and as they did not have a match, unless I bought two, they refused to change it. So I limped over to Germany and it was worse. They had the Bridgestone Potenza 245 35 18 that I needed but still would not fit it as it has been improved by Bridgestone and therefore has a different barcode and therefore not legal.

yes

Yes, as long as same tread type / but all are radials these days so no problem
Big problem in France, Germany and Spain it seems. This cannot be an EU regulation otherwise uk would have adopted it, I think?

I can't see a perfectly good tyre get shredded for playground matting.

Don`t tell them it`s to pair with a tyre on the car, just say you want a new spare.
So take wheel off and walk in with it...I did think of that but wonder if it is also legal. It's probably.my only chance.or a used alloy with tyre on eBay and then sort it back in England later on

Bit tricky mixing tyres and even tread depths to some extent on the fronts, I'd've thought. I fitted two identical front tyres on my Skoda which were slightly larger (195 instead of 185) and it totally interfered with the handling/deceleration and w.h.y. Surely different tread patterns would compromise steering?

Until about a month ago, I don't think that I have ever replaced more than one tyre at a time in over 40 years of driving. A month ago, I replaced 3.

Bit tricky mixing tyres and even tread depths to some extent on the fronts, I'd've thought. I fitted two identical front tyres on my Skoda which were slightly larger (195 instead of 185) and it totally interfered with the handling/deceleration and w.h.y. Surely different tread patterns would compromise steering?
It certainly isn’t ideal but the question was is it legal.

Until about a month ago, I don't think that I have ever replaced more than one tyre at a time in over 40 years of driving. A month ago, I replaced 3.

looks like I.might need 4 next week, not much change out of £1200

French tyre law
Article 9

Lorsque le code de la route interdit de monter des pneus de structures différents sur un même essieu ( article 3, point 3.2 et 3.3) Il entend selon le Journal Officiel de la CE N°1 129/105 du 14/05/1992 que les pneus doivent être à la fois de :

• même marque
  • même dimension
  • même catégorie d’utilisation ( ex. route, neige, tout terrain).
  • même structure : radiale ou diagonale
  • même code de vitesse
  • même indice de capacité de charge

Pour les pneumatiques hiver, la capacité de vitesse peut être, licitement, inférieure à celle des pneumatiques d’origine, mais la vitesse de roulage doit alors être adaptée à cette limite inférieure.

Which translates as

When the Highway Code prohibits the fitting of tires of different structures on the same axle (article 3, point 3.2 and 3.3) According to the Official Journal of the EC N ° 1 129/105 of 14/05/1992 that tires must be both:

same brand

same dimension

same category of use (eg road, snow, all terrain).

same structure: radial or diagonal

same speed code

same load capacity index

For winter tires, the speed capacity may lawfully be lower than that of the original tires, but the running speed must then be adapted to this lower limit.

advertisement

Back