advertisement

Car Stereo - repair

Sid and Coke

and so the rebuild continues..
My daughters boyfriend has replaced his car and has given me his old ( 2 years old) Sony CD head unit ( Sony CDX-M8800 )for one of my cars. The trouble is the front display stopped working a few weeks ago, it is a multi colour flourscent , or vacuum display on a motorised flip down panel, the inner illuminated LCD display and all of the functions workjust fine.

After doing a bit of fishing around I have found other folk who have had this problem with the same unit apparently there are a couple of transistors that need replacing. The unit works ok and so i don't mind spending a bit of time and very little money to try and fix it. I was intending to buy a new cheap new CD player, however 'recycling' this old one is my prefered option.

I have a full service manual for the unit and have been advised which components to try and replace first. One of the items looks like a 'normal' 3 legged transistor with the ref # 2SK2615 and another item which has 6 legs and ref # RSQ035P03TR.

My main Question: Are these numbers standard p/n that i can just buy off the shelf or will i have to go Sony to get them.

Electronic circut board fault diagnosis isn't my thing, however i am capable of changing components if i know what to change. i.e. Painting by numbers....

2SK.... will be a standard transistor manufactured by Toshiba.
haven't got a clue what the six legged beast might be

I suggest you look very carefully at the flexible ribbon cable that goes between the main PCB and the display PCB before you even think about transistors.
I have replaced hundreds of them in the 8800 and 850M series

;-)

I suggest you look very carefully at the flexible ribbon cable that goes between the main PCB and the display PCB before you even think about transistors.

Inspecting for obvious loose, or damaged connections and connectors, with a squoosh of contact cleaner is usually always my first area of suspicion and attention. 9/10 it fixes most of the electrical faults that i get at work. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

I have replaced hundreds of them in the 8800 and 850M series

Hello, new best friend :D

advertisement

Back