advertisement

Car seat covers

garyi

leave blank
I get the feeling I'll regret asking this but I have a new to me BMW 3 series saloon coming. Its a very nice drive but I guess the base model so cloth seats. The car has done very few miles so looks like new and I want it stay that way for at least a while.

Can anyone recommend seat covers? I have done a lot of google and they all frankly look like shit. I don't mind spending a few quid but all the websites I have seen look like some teenage petrol head is trying to make a few quid.

Cheers

Forget it. They all look crap.
Upholstery shampoos are really very good these days, so unless you really think you are going to get them filthy, I’d be very tempted to just clean them every few months as necessary.

+1 to that: cloth seats can last for ever, remain comfy (esp in hot weather), and are easy to clean.
Enjoy the new toy.

Don't bother, they're all crap and a sweaty horrible mess. Why have a nice motor with quality seats and then cover them with £5 bin bags?

Just clean the seats if they get dirty, I doubt you'll get anything serious on them. I don't even put them on the work van, its done 90k in two years of me sitting in it all day covered in all sorts and they still look almost new.

OK, well its what I thought!

There are options that work. We have a Fiesta to use as a workhorse - ferry nephews covered in mud from their sporting activities, carry garden stuff and generally abuse. Didn't want anything cloth in that mess.

Frustrated by the lack of leather or 'leatherette' options on anything other than a premium sports model I got these made to measure and had them fitted by a guy who I have used for servicing.

https://www.jcseatcovers.co.uk/

Five years and 50k miles later, I've been delighted with them. They cost me about £400 fitted in 2014 and have been worth every penny. Happy to send you a couple of pics when cleaned, but many people have asked about them after seeing them and thinking they were standard. They fit that well. The pics on the site are accurate.

Last edited:
There will be additional expenses for the parcel shelf pillows, box of tissues and the flat cap. If you really want to push the boat out you could get a nodding dog.

Car seats are tougher than you might think and can withstand some apparently aggressive washing. Just watch a valeter, they do not mess around.

The only ones that are any good are the ‘second skin’ type covers. We’ve got some in the campervan, as the upholstery VW use is ludicrously light in colour and vulnerable to all sorts of damage in such a vehicle. They are excellent, a perfect fit but not cheap. In a car, I really wouldn’t bother.

I never really see the point of covering seats in order to keep them nice for the next owner. BMW seats are well made and hard wearing. Just use it and enjoy it and clean the seats in a few years time, it'll only take you an hour and cost a few quid and you get to enjoy the car properly in the interim.

I never really see the point of covering seats in order to keep them nice for the next owner. BMW seats are well made and hard wearing. Just use it and enjoy it and clean the seats in a few years time, it'll only take you an hour and cost a few quid and you get to enjoy the car properly in the interim.

It's not about preservation (at least for me). Wiping a seat over is just so much quicker.

Well I was just looking at the state of the leather on the out going vehicle. I do 30k miles a year so it is what it is, cloth does not appear to be more durable. Damnsite more comfy though I will say that.

What is it you getting on the seat that it needs wiping over? Not being funny, genuine question.

I've never had a car where cloth seats that didn't require vacuum and brushing even in normal use. I haven't had a car since the 80s without leather seats and would never specify cloth. It surprised me that a car I intended to use a lot for carrying all sports of rubbish around and my wife uses to ferry nephews to all sorts of activities wasn't available with leather as an option. It has to be cleaned every week because it also gets used locally for social travel.

advertisement

Back