advertisement

Car Paint Defect

Mongeddavid

pfm Member
About 8 months ago i had my car repaired after an accident. They did some work to the rear quarter and resprayed that section. The work looked good and i was happy with the finish. I also obtained a guarantee for the work.

Anyhoo I was outside polishing the car earlier i noticed the paint appears to have micro bubbles in it. It almost looks like the car has been sitting under a tree and has tree sap covering it however after a quick attempt at removing a section it certainly looks like its the paint. My question is is it normal for something like this to occur especially after some months have elapsed? What could be the cause? my only thought is water molecules under the paint have expanded/ contracted due to cold weather but it is most odd.

Any insight into this issue would be great.

Could be a number of things, but first thing to do is notify the place that did the work and book a time to go through it with them. Might also be worth making your insurer aware of this as well.

As TPA says get it back and complain. They will give you a load of nonsense so be ready. Normally these things are immediate, a favourite is silicone polish contamination which is almost impossible to remove and gives you fisheyes.

I'm not au fait with current paint technology, the cause of the defect will vary according to the paint chemistry. I did a few jobs in my youth with celly and one with 2 pack, both are now out of fashion for COSHH safety reasons.

I would think the primer either under or over was not allowed to dry properly after it was prepared and before it was painted and like you say you have micro blisters caused by water under the paint.
It won't go away on its own and will need to be stripped and repainted correctly.

I had a similar thing happen. The repair was initially done at a shop recommended by the insurance company and there was a 12 month warrenty in place. They paid for the re-work to be locally (I had moved 400 miles in the interim) which came out fine.

I agree, sound like something didn't dry off properly but it should be OK if re-done properly.

CHE

Yep, just be clear up front what the warranty covers so you don't get into the "yeah we can see the bubbles but it don't cover bubbles guvnor". Surprisingly if you make a rational complaint most of these guys will comply and get on with it. IME they may moan once they've done it how it took so long and blah de blah......

advertisement

Back