Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Car DIY Thread.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Suffolk Tony, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

What with the cost of getting anything fixed by main dealers these days I really think that, with a bit of engineering flair and common sense, you can still fix most faults yourself.

I'm feeling pretty chuffed with myself, having just done a pretty neat job on my Porsche 911's front brakes. No more rip-off dealer's prices for me!

[​IMG]

2. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

Could do with a ten mil socket mate.

Wilson, tiggers and Suffolk Tony like this.
  3. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

A new take on the brakes feeling a little wooden.

Subito, sean99 and Suffolk Tony like this.
  4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Renewable resource.

Suffolk Tony likes this.
  5. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I've got bad news though Tony, someone has stolen your 911s brakes and fitted some from a Fiesta. Unventilated single piston floating caliper discs have never AFAIK been a 911 fit.

it does look like a Fiesta. That part number on the casting looks familiar.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  6. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Kiln dried I hope, for less fade.

7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

panzerholz

8. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

Well, the bloke who flogged it to me assured me it was a re-bodied 911 Turbo S, to make it less conspicuous to the police. I did wonder a bit when the performance seemed marginally less than optimal.

cctaylor and stevec67 like this.
  9. cubastreet

cubastreet Espresso Fiend

It's funny how skinny the wheels are on old cars.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  10. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

Gesundheit.

11. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

I thought they were make belief...

12. Seeker_UK

I've spent the afternoon working on the XJ, trying to resolve a bit of a problem with excess positive camber. I think I've sorted it.

[​IMG]

naimplayer, cctaylor and Suffolk Tony like this.
  13. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Congratulations! I did the same job about 25 years ago, also on a 911, and while it was not difficult conceptually, it was filthy, unpleasant, awkward and exhausting. I think I probably ruined shoes and clothes for a value greater than I would have spent having it done. It took hours pumping and bleeding, pumping and bleeding, with puddles of fluid all over the floor. But I expect you were cleaner and more scientific about it. Well done!

14. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Practice. Practice and more Practice is the only way. If you were a young driver in the 1970s and 1980s it was the only way to keep going. Even did a head gasket on my Imp in the driveway, without taking the engine out as the Haynes book recommended.

Now I just take the Volvo to a dealer once a year for a quick service and MOT, all delivered with a pleasant smile. I do top up the washer fluid and take it to a car wash from time to time.

15. Seeker_UK

Ah yes. 'Happy' memories of helping an ex-GF's dad replace the head gasket in an A-series engine in freezing weather. I learned a lot from that; most notably, not to buy anything with an A-series engine in it.

lordsummit likes this.
  16. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Yup. As students, a small group of us removed and replaced a mini engine from the car, by muscle alone. I cant remember why we were doing it - it was not out for long.

stephen bennett and Suffolk Tony like this.
  17. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Replaced clutch and head gasket on an A series engined Marina as a student. What a chore. Hard to believe we used to do stuff like that as the price of ownership.

Seeker_UK likes this.
  18. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Ha! that's not that hard part.

No, the hard part was that buggardly-awkward waterpump bypass hose on the original A (not A+) series - the one where the short 1/2" bore, 1-1/4" long hose had to be brutally compressed to under 3/4" long to get it in place over the two spigots it fitted-between , from a recess deep in the underside of cyl head, to the spigot atop said pump.

And - at the moment of your triumph -

- when you'd slipped the damn thing in place with detergent,
    - the cheapo corrugated version was actually no help at all, although marketed as such, was rejected having skittered sideways, then split: replaced by the unwavering right Unipart,
    - without either skewering your fingers, nor the hose, nor long-suffering pal/sister/girlfriend via the various greased flat-blade screwdrivers employed as inclined ramps like an industrial & sharp version of reverse- Ker-plunk

.. you realise you'd forgotten you had to thread the hoseclamps on before fitting it, and the thing has to be done-over - & thus the A-Series Gods attain their required blood-sacrifice after all.

Joy, joy....

19. docstocker

docstocker pfm Member

As a student I replaced the rear subframe on my mini.six bolts rusted to buggery took from Thursday am to Monday am to loosen.
    A year or two ago I was going to have a look at something on the Lexus LS400 I owned at the time.
    Couldn’t even find a way to get the plastic engine cover off!

Snufkin, Suffolk Tony and wow&flutter like this.
  20. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

impact-driver, brute-force & ignorance.

Pick any two out of three, min, these days.