advertisement

Capacitor combination?

Isobarik

pfm Member
Hi to all.
I have to replace a axial 125uf 16v electrolytic in a circuit board. Unfortunately the value is obsolete I believe, although there may be somewhere where I can obtain a couple.
The only other alternative is to wire two capacitors in parallel to achieve the 125uf, what combination is best?
I know I can go up with the voltage but not sure about changing the uf value and what effect it would have.
The cap is installed in the input amplifier board in a Revox B77.
Best regards
Ray

Electrolytic caps are very low tolerance devices, usually something like +/- 20% so your nominally rated 125uF cap could be 100uF to 150uF and still be within spec.

So like Jez says, just use the nearest 'standard' value.

Electrolytic caps are very low tolerance devices, usually something like +/- 20% so your nominally rated 125uF cap could be 100uF to 150uF and still be within spec.

So like Jez says, just use the nearest 'standard' value.
Thanks Mike for the info.
Regards
Ray

When I did my A77 mkiv last year, there were quite a few now non-standard values to replace. I just replaced them with the nearest uF value I ccould find and went up in voltage where it was the nearest solution. If you are doing the audio channel boards, there are obviously 2 of each, so change the caps on both to be sure the channels stay matched. I found the recapping improved the performance quite a bit. Those 40 year old caps were past their best!

When I did my A77 mkiv last year, there were quite a few now non-standard values to replace. I just replaced them with the nearest uF value I ccould find and went up in voltage where it was the nearest solution. If you are doing the audio channel boards, there are obviously 2 of each, so change the caps on both to be sure the channels stay matched. I found the recapping improved the performance quite a bit. Those 40 year old caps were past their best!
Thank you. I feel much better! My mind is at rest now.
Thought it best to ask.
Regards
Ray

advertisement

Back