advertisement

Canon PowerShot S400 elph/ixus problem

garethrl

pfm Member
First post on this particular board. I have an S400 elph which I bough in the US in 2003, when I lived there. It's just a snapshot camera but it does the job. However, last year I started encountering the apparently infamous "Memory Card Error" which it seems plagued this model. It's a fairly simple fix which requires opening the camera and either replacing or at least resetting the tiny clock battery. So I did this and the problem went away ...

... only to be superseded by a new and far more insidious one. I now get a red/pink stripe at the top of every single photo I take. It's not visible on the screen or viewfinder when lining up a shot, but it's there on every single pic after shooting, both on the viewing screen and after download. I've tried a few memory cards, but it's always there.

I've tried resetting defaults and even re-opened and closed the camera, but no joy. I assume I've somehow managed to shag up part of the detector, so does anyone know if there's a fix? Or might it be something else? There's a standard €45 handling fee for the Benelux service department and I don't see the point in spending that on a 6 year old, 4MP camera, so cheap (free!) fixes are the order of the day.

Cheers, Gareth.

Gareth

Do a bit of reserch Google for "faulty Sony sensor Canon ixus" or something similar and you will find that there is a known fault on Canon cameras of that age. I contacted the Canon Service shop in the UK and I had the sensor on my Ixus 500 replaced under warranty a few weeks ago and no questions asked.

The symptoms were pink stripes across the pic in camera mode and on the photo itself but in menu mode the display works fine with no stripes

I hope yours is covered.

Eddie

advertisement

Back