advertisement

Canon G7x mk2 users?

Pedro83

pfm Member
I came on here many month ago seeking advice of a good SLR. I was pointed towards many great options on the back of very helpful information, a few of which led me to the 6D. Whilst this was a great camera, I always felt I was too behind with its ability. It didn't take me long to appreciate how good it was, and were it really excelled though. Sadly, I left the camera, along with an AQ DRF DAC on an aircraft a few weeks ago.

Several days ago I bought a G7x mk2, without any research, literally an on the spot buy. What a wonderful camera this is, oh my. I am blown away to the point I am walking each day in the beautiful country of Portugal enjoying the task of capturing what I see. My partner is doing some volunteering work in Madagascar later this year (3 months i'll be without it) and I am sure she will make good use of it.

The point of this thread is merely to state how well I regard this camera. I am a beginner, though having owned several cameras over the years; powershot S100 (not so good, IMO); G5; G6 and of course the 6D but this just seems to perform so well for its size. Needless to say the 6D was ahead but for the mere size of the G7x mk2 -it really packs a punch.

It could perform a tad better in low light but all considered it's a purchase I treasure - and hopefully one I won't leave behind me.

I am left wondering whether any other people use this camera, probably for convenience.

Although i've not used it, I think the sensor size in that camera is that same as the Nikon 1 series, which is a 1 inch size sensor, so it's small for a DSLR, but large for a compact camera (the idea being it's the best of both worlds).

The limitations for the camera system will be that the low light sensitivity will be a stop or two lower than a full frame 35mm sensor, and the depth of field will be greater, so it's harder to pull a subject from a background. Saying that, the upsides are the small and light camera, and from what you've said, I think you've found that the compromise works very well for you!

Although i've not used it, I think the sensor size in that camera is that same as the Nikon 1 series, which is a 1 inch size sensor, so it's small for a DSLR, but large for a compact camera (the idea being it's the best of both worlds).

The limitations for the camera system will be that the low light sensitivity will be a stop or two lower than a full frame 35mm sensor, and the depth of field will be greater, so it's harder to pull a subject from a background. Saying that, the upsides are the small and light camera, and from what you've said, I think you've found that the compromise works very well for you!

Funny you mention this as I did own a Nikon 1 briefly, though sadly another lost item. I rated it highly. I still have a lot of the photos from device and it was indeed a great camera.

It is good that you have found a camera you enjoy and are taking out more.

+1. Indeed. It may lead me to better but this is more than enough for my current needs. I certainly prefer menu options on Canon rather than Nikon. I find the former much easier to use (due to inabilities to an extent i'm sure).

Ill post some pics in due course.

I have one as well, primarily as a backup for my Canon 760D SLR. I think it's a great allrounder, the 24mm lens is useful as well and picture quality is great IMHO. I would have preferred if the size was a bit closer to my old S95 and I'm often afraid of dropping it, but overall it's highly recommended from here as well.

/U.

advertisement

Back