advertisement

Cancel Culture

Alan Partridge
A Twitter account, did I get this right ? There are many Alan Partridges...

And my point has strictly nothing to do with political orientation. I reckon the basic principles of maths are the same for Daily Mail and Guardian readers ?

Titania McGrath is an invention from the libertarian Spiked crew. It spoofs and thus ridicules the language of the "woke" in support of its free speech agenda.

No it's quite entertaining, if a tad repetitive. However I do find it quite entertaining when "she" lists genuine articles that claim the most random things as being racist.

I’m finding all this millennial hipster humour a bit exclusionary TBH. Who am I supposed to be angry at?

'Satire is a sort of glass [mirror], wherein beholders do generally discover everybody’s face but their own; which is the chief reason for that kind reception it meets with in the world, and that so very few are offended with it'. Jonathan Swift.

Andrew Doyle created Titania with the explicit aim of highlighting the contradictions and absurdity of " woke' culture. Beside being an author, playwright and political satirist he is a serious academic research fellow (Critical Race Theory, gender politics etc) at Queens University with a PhD in Renaissance Poetry from Oxford

So it is very much in line with the thinking of Trump, Lozza Fox, Oakeshott, UKIP etc etc.
By all respect, @Minio, now you're jumping from one extreme to the other. I do indeed look down on "woke" people, and I enjoy the Tweeters and Youtubers who are making a living out of exposing the contradictions of rich sociology students who somehow think the world craves for their wisdom. But Trump etc. ? Much of this woke culture is so hypocritical and laughable that honestly I don't know how reasonably intelligent human beings can embrace it, no matter where they see themselves on the political map.

Some anti-wokers have, admittedly, gone the alt-right way, or at least the Trump way. Scott Adams, whose Dilbert cartoons I read every day (he's good, what can you do), has greatly disappointed me with a decidedly trumpist stance.
AwakenWithJP on Youtube, a rather brilliant observer of the human mind IMO, has also expressed opinions I don't agree with - I've meanwhile stopped watching his videos. But as such I don't see anything right-wing in making fun of wokes, I guess even mildly left-oriented people can have fun at them. Making fun of spoilt kids who consider themselves morally superior to anything east of California's coastline - to the point of calling Abraham Lincoln a racist - seems very much acceptable to me, you don't need to be right-wing for that. For the time being I can't remember Titania McGrath having ever crossed that line, in fact I consider her/him to be rather apolitical.

Fair enough.
But the Trumpian sorts do like to arm themselves with such material.
Certainly, but that's not his/her fault, and should the fact that some people are too dumb to grasp the intentions of the writer deter satirists from doing their important job ? No.

By all respect, @Minio, now you're jumping from one extreme to the other. I do indeed look down on "woke" people, and I enjoy the Tweeters and Youtubers who are making a living out of exposing the contradictions of rich sociology students who somehow think the world craves for their wisdom. But Trump etc. ? Much of this woke culture is so hypocritical and laughable that honestly I don't know how reasonably intelligent human beings can embrace it, no matter where they see themselves on the political map.

Some anti-wokers have, admittedly, gone the alt-right way, or at least the Trump way. Scott Adams, whose Dilbert cartoons I read every day (he's good, what can you do), has greatly disappointed me with a decidedly trumpist stance.
AwakenWithJP on Youtube, a rather brilliant observer of the human mind IMO, has also expressed opinions I don't agree with - I've meanwhile stopped watching his videos. But as such I don't see anything right-wing in making fun of wokes, I guess even mildly left-oriented people can have fun at them. Making fun of spoilt kids who consider themselves morally superior to anything east of California's coastline - to the point of calling Abraham Lincoln a racist - seems very much acceptable to me, you don't need to be right-wing for that. For the time being I can't remember Titania McGrath having ever crossed that line, in fact I consider her/him to be rather apolitical.
Thanks for explaining the joke! I get it now, it’s really funny.

@Cheese "apolitical"? Ain't no such thing. People who are "apolitical" accept the status quo so are at the mildest small c conservatives, against progressive change. People who believe in "common sense" as a fixed, unchanging, uncontested truth.
It's the meanest blues of all...

This was a corker this evening on R4:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001mcgk

Gender-critical academic Kathleen Stock met with protests at Oxford Union lecture. The Moral Maze panel included Melanie Philips who kept a cork in it but ran aground interrogating an Oxford lecturer who supported the protests and who played a blinder on Philips, stopping Mad Mel from revealing the true horror of the left.
At the summing up though, Mel became uncorked. You could hear the voice harden, the bile rising: “people with conservative views are increasingly becoming cancelled in this country!”. Well worth a listen, Mona Siddiqui was an island of calm reflection.

I'm surprised* they still let far-right scum like Melanie Philips on the radio. The mask came off many years ago.

*(not surprised, really)

advertisement

Back