advertisement

Cancel Culture

Which all hinges on what he's done... if he's done bad then more fool him and he should have thought first. If he hasn't done bad, his employer can't sack him without demonstrating what he's done to breach their policies. Otherwise an ET looms, surely?
Employers are notoriously reasonable about this kind of thing and workers have lots of rights.

Which all hinges on what he's done... if he's done bad then more fool him and he should have thought first. If he hasn't done bad, his employer can't sack him without demonstrating what he's done to breach their policies. Otherwise an ET looms, surely?
Her objective is just to get him sacked. She doesn't care if he gets reinstated at, or due to, an ET case. And why should he have to face that stress and upheaval? My brother took a former employer to ET over workplace bullying (he won, a quite substantial sum). It nearly broke him, mentally.

From the usual disjointed timeline of Twitter it seems like she has been forced to accept his apology in order to end this as soon as possible. Internet opinion seems to be against her and she is probably more worried about her job than he need be.

I know we're a nation of snowflakes now but this is the most shocking example of cancel culture I've ever seen:

https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1346029868153245696

I'm sure Toby Young's Free Speech Union will be along any minute to defend this poor guy against Pearson's attempt to silence him with threats and intimidation.
She’s utterly poisonous. Alleged journalist, more a Trump-style mouthpiece and extremist. Remember the good old days when we only had the likes of Mad Mel to worry about?

From the usual disjointed timeline of Twitter it seems like she has been forced to accept his apology in order to end this as soon as possible. Internet opinion seems to be against her and she is probably more worried about her job than he need be.
It would be great if there was to be some form of comeuppance for Pearson out of all this.

I don't understand twitter.

And by that I literally mean I don't understand it. I clicked the link and I don't know what I am looking at, it just seems to be a bunch of disjointed threads merged into one long turd thread.

I don't even understand Facebook now that they've updated the interface. Luckily I only check in once in a blue moon, but when I do I'm completely lost.

That link from the OP just gave me a headache. :(

I think it’s less Twitter that we need to understand than the press: they can do whatever TF they want, no matter how obviously detrimental to society and to ordinary members of the public, with zero consequences, and ever since Leveson they’re determined to demonstrate that fact with maximum cruelty at every opportunity.

Her objective is just to get him sacked. She doesn't care if he gets reinstated at, or due to, an ET case. And why should he have to face that stress and upheaval? My brother took a former employer to ET over workplace bullying (he won, a quite substantial sum). It nearly broke him, mentally.

Speaking as someone who was involved in an ET from the other side, it's stressful for the employer too. They're bad news all round and better resolved through arbitration or 'out-of-court'.

Nasty piece of twitterage to read.

I was involved in a large Govt run organisation for a long time, and learned pretty quickly that you really don't want to go public with personal opinions unless you have the full backing of the organisation, and a very thick skin.

The only thing that surprises me here is that any professional in a Govt/ Pharma / or any health related organisation would air personal opinions in public like this, and leave themselves exposed to this kind of attack.

She’s utterly poisonous. Alleged journalist, more a Trump-style mouthpiece and extremist. Remember the good old days when we only had the likes of Mad Mel to worry about?
I remember watching her about twenty five years ago on the late review and quite liking her (and knowing nothing of her politics- was she this awful then?) I recall Tony parsons being on the same show too and he's become a twat as well.

My wife was reading this on Twitter this morning and became absolutely enraged with Allison Pearson's behaviour. The synopsis is that Pearson is a right wing TV and print journalist who has a history of rubbishing the NHS over Covid (a number of users have since unearthed her earlier comments and retweeted them today as proof). So this ordinary guy called Dave Bradshaw, who is an NHS supporter (and apparently works for GSK), called her out on her NHS rubbishing on his private Twitter account in mildly harsh terms and she then responds saying she would talk to GSK CEO whom I'm guessing she knows and get him fired. Dave then freaks out, literally begs forgiveness and offers to donate money to a charity of her choosing as he cannot afford to lose his job, Alison digs in (actually tweeting "You're Finished"). Dave starts contemplating suicide - Pearson seeing the backlash swelling on Twitterand also fearing the publicity of a suicide on her hands, then accepts his apologies.

ibX4GLo.jpg

Boy, she is quite a piece of work.

I'd not heard of her before. She seems a very unpleasant person. It would be nice to think that her behaviour in this instance came to the attention of her employer, and that he fired her for bringing the company into disrepute. However, the employer being the Daily Telegraph, she'll probably get a raise.

The sad thing is that she thinks that she can contact Mr Bradshaw's employer and, more importantly, that her employer doesn't take issue with any of this.

I actually wish the guy had just Tweeted "Well, Go **** yourself" to her in the end when she refused to accept his apologies.

At my old company, I had to call out one of our employees for some Social Media stuff that didn't sit right - it involved Wind Turbines... I'd hardly have considered sacking him (and couldn't have done it anyway as it's a bit more complicated than she seems to think LOL). She's a cow.

I actually wish the guy had just Tweeted "Well, Go **** yourself" to her in the end when she refused to accept his apologies.
I mentioned earlier in this thread that this sort of bullying has been seen to backfire before.

In the example below, the target was a researcher working in the USA. He had wound some people up the wrong way with his views on Feminism and Gaming.

I honestly think we need to teach the next generation about the nature of discourse and disagreement. I can disagree with people on here, but it does not constitute grounds for taking it further into bullying territory.

advertisement

Back