advertisement

Can you identify this Pioneer TT?

cj66

pfm Member
Screenshot-20230529-144553-Facebook.jpg

...and if it's any good? At £100 buy or walk away.

Looks like a Pioneer PL- A125S, not sure I’ve ever seen one though. It may of course have been a non UK model so unlikely I’ve come across one. Looks like a fully automatic model as well which makes it rarer but as for value, maybe £60 to £100 isn’t far off the mark but ultimately what’s it worth to you?

Can’t identify the cart though (likely to be a Pioneer original cart) so maybe budget in a cart if a new stylus is unavailable.

Oops, your right, got the numbers mixed up, clumsy fingers:D, PL-215S is correct

Last edited:
@wow&flutter

You're "Pioneer PL- A125S" got me there, just switch the numbers to PL-A215S.

As you say, nothing special, once I had the model 50/60 sqiddlies seems about right.

I shan't bother then.
Thanks for the I.D. though.

Yes, the 'A' is for fully automatic and PL-A125S may have been the last Pioneer BD model to have the independent tonearm auto-return mechanism. What was significant about this bit is that automation wasn't driven via gears engaging with the main bearing shaft below deck, as per usual, but an independent motor driven assembly that took the load off the belt (important when the high relative speed 4-pole motor necessitates a very small diameter drive pulley, especially so, as the belt stretches with age).

This was also the last of the BD Pioneers with rectangular steel chassis screwed to wooden plinth. There were other wooden plinths to follow with similarly decent tonearms, specifically PL-112D, PL-115D, and PL-117D (with 117D being the full-auto replacement), but with poorly conceived sprung metal sub-chassis.

Pioneer-PL-A215-S.jpg

Last edited:

advertisement

Back