advertisement

Can you identify these late70s/early 80s speakers from a vague description?

Tw99

source last
Purely out of interest, as I was reminded of a friend's system from the early 80s today.

The speakers he had were some credible brand, not floorstanders but fairly large (wider than they were deep probably?) I think 3way, but possibly 2way,and I'm guessing they must have had at least 12in bass driver given the size. They had black grilles. The unusual thing I remember about them was they had a band across the front baffle into which was mounted a rotary dial and possibly even some LEDs. Or maybe it was just LEDs!

It's all terribly vague I know, but I'm sure one of you may have a suggestion!?

Were they one of the Wharfedale MACH series?

1.jpg

A band across the front baffle with knobs and LEDs? That sounds like the early 1980s versions of the Goodmans Mezzos/Magnums to me.

A lot of JBLs fit the description, e.g. 4312 studio monitors:

28b5vg9.jpg

They'll sound damn good too!

A band across the front baffle with knobs and LEDs? That sounds like the early 1980s versions of the Goodmans Mezzos/Magnums to me.

BINGO ! I knew it'd ring a bell with someone. This is definitely what they looked like.

Thanks for all the other suggestions though.

Would these have been budget, mid-range or expensive at the time?

BINGO ! I knew it'd ring a bell with someone. This is definitely what they looked like.

Thanks for all the other suggestions though.

Would these have been budget, mid-range or expensive at the time?

They would have been upper budget price range (the Mezzos were around £180 per pair IIRC) but they were well regarded for all that. One of the A5 issues of Hi-Fi Choice preferred them to the £500 flagship Goodmans Graduate loudspeakers (which seem to have never been heard of again, incidentally!).

If you fancy playing with a pair, keep an eye on eBay and set aside £10 or so but bear in mind the drivers will probably need refoaming.

advertisement

Back