advertisement

can we please have a unified UK politics thread?

Remarkable!!
I frequent another, much more parochial website, where all political discussion was banned, on the grounds that it always led to abuse, conflict etc. I long argued that PFM was a shining example of how diverse political views could be managed by a decent moderation policy and a broadly 'civilised' debate. I also stated that I found the overall standard of political debate on PFM to be well informed and well argued.

Am I deluded?

Don't answer that..
This site is quite heavily censored, though. There are fairly level-headed people here getting loads of stuff deleted.

This site is quite heavily censored, though. There are fairly level-headed people here getting loads of stuff deleted.
You are Spartacus! Actually Rich, I’m sure you’ve had behavioural modifiers applied to you by others throughout your life and youre probably the better man for it. Though by this stage Id have hoped the stabilisers could have come off your bike. What do you think?

One of the most ridiculous of the many ridiculous things you’ve written. If you have had posts deleted they’ve fallen foul of the aup, a very clear document. The mod team covers a very broad church, if you were to compare the politics of myself or Andrew for instance we’re a long way apart.
This forum is very lightly moderated, there really is very little action taken. The report post button is really useful as it does alert us to things we might have missed. If you don’t post unpleasant things, you won’t feel it’s effects. The only political guideline we follow is that racist/facist shit isn’t allowed. Intolerance of others is treated likewise.
So if you’ve had posts deleted it’s for one of the three reasons, AUP breach, racist/facist shit, or showing intolerance towards the differing views of others. How is that censorship?

One of the most ridiculous of the many ridiculous things you’ve written. If you have had posts deleted they’ve fallen foul of the aup, a very clear document. The mod team covers a very broad church, if you were to compare the politics of myself or Andrew for instance we’re a long way apart.
This forum is very lightly moderated, there really is very little action taken. The report post button is really useful as it does alert us to things we might have missed. If you don’t post unpleasant things, you won’t feel it’s effects. The only political guideline we follow is that racist/facist shit isn’t allowed. Intolerance of others is treated likewise.
So if you’ve had posts deleted it’s for one of the three reasons, AUP breach, racist/facist shit, or showing intolerance towards the differing views of others. How is that censorship?

I have never had a post deleted from any other forum. I also see people much less abrasive than me getting stuff deleted here.

It's not just politics, there are loads of things. Eg, for me mainly I get stuff deleted when slagging amazon off or swearing. The amount of comments from other users that get their anti-amazon posts deleted is high. A minor business link to amazon results in a rather large sweep of valid stuff.

I regularly see questions like 'what just happened to my post?'

If you think this forum is lightly moderated, up to you. But I don't think it is.

I have never said any of your posts are ridiculous, because I do not want to breach the AUP. It is not enough to distance the breach by attacking what I write, particularly if no examples are quoted. In any case, the two are too closely connected. You are breaking your own rules by writing stuff like that. In my opinion, which of course, you are entitled to.

'...personally insulting statements...' It may not be implied, but it was inferred as such. And I feel insulted, so where does that leave things?

The Amazon thing is obvious Rich, it helps to pay for the site. I suspect you’re more than willing to step up to the mark and chip in if goes west?

Thought not

It's not just politics, there are loads of things. Eg, for me mainly I get stuff deleted when slagging amazon off or swearing. The amount of comments from other users that get their anti-amazon posts deleted is high. A minor business link to amazon results in a rather large sweep of valid stuff.

This site is only able to exist due to advertising, Amazon being a major link affiliate. Don’t like it? You know where the door is. I really don’t care in the slightest about your opinion on the subject and I’m under zero obligation to publish it. Most of your posts that are deleted are so because you apparently struggle to frame an argument without swearing or vulgarity. Again, AUP.

The Amazon thing is obvious Rich, it helps to pay for the site. I suspect you’re more than willing to step up to the mark and chip in if goes west?

Thought not
I have chipped in financially. Less than a year ago. Probably will do again this year. Only 15 quid but £15 x 27,336 members = quite a lot.

Please remove your insults. Firstly, you call me ridiculous indirectly, then you wrongly accuse me of not having a sense of fair play.

I have chipped in financially. Less than a year ago. Probably will do again this year. Only 15 quid but £15 x 27,336 members = quite a lot.

Please remove your insults. Firstly, you call me ridiculous indirectly, then you wrongly accuse me of not having a sense of fair play.

I’m surprised, your usual modus operandi has been to leave a mess behind and leave others to deal with it.

Happy to apologise for suggesting you might not contribute.

I have never had a post deleted from any other forum. I also see people much less abrasive than me getting stuff deleted here.

It's not just politics, there are loads of things. Eg, for me mainly I get stuff deleted when slagging amazon off or swearing.

So, you know that swearing is against the AUP, and you know that Tony relies on income from Amazon to keep the site running, but you insist on posting stuff that slags off Amazon and/or contains swearing. Your attitude resembles that of a bloke refused admission to a club with a 'no trainers' rule because he's wearing trainers, who then a) keeps trying to get in the club whilst wearing trainers and b) keeps complaining about the 'no trainers' rule.

So, you know that swearing is against the AUP, and you know that Tony relies on income from Amazon to keep the site running, but you insist on posting stuff that slags off Amazon and/or contains swearing. Your attitude resembles that of a bloke refused admission to a club with a 'no trainers' rule because he's wearing trainers, who then a) keeps trying to get in the club whilst wearing trainers and b) keeps complaining about the 'no trainers' rule.
This also is not true. After he told me about his income coming from amazon, I admittedly bleated in a post that was then removed along with posts by a few others. And then I stopped associating amazon with negative imagery. Then I just sat back and watched others do it. My contribution in the last thread after the anti-amazon stuff started was something like 'I knew this would not take long'. I have been very careful to not say anything dodgy about amazon. Even this thread does not criticize amazon.

So, your verbal imagery is again personally insulting - I am insulted because this is a negative image and it is just not true. I'm nothing like that bloke going to a club in trainers and refusing to accept I can't come in.

Please address it.

advertisement

Back