advertisement

Can the Karousel be fitted when using the Vivid acrylic subchassis and armboard ?

Yes, my Cirkus was fitted long before I had even heard of Vivid.
Is that the deciding factor, the capacity to have a Cirkus fitted or not ?

Well, if it takes a Cirkus, it should fit. I guess the only other consideration is the thickness. If it’s to thick, the top nut may foul the inner platter. I use a Mober and it’s fine, if that’s any help.

Not denying what you are saying, I was at Robert Richie in Montrose, and while he was trying to sell me a Karousel it was decided that unless I was useing a totally Linn set up it wouldn't work properly. As I had no intention to do that he didn't try to push it.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm only reporting what the dealer said. These things need to be reported and thought about.

I've had a Linn since the very early eighties apart from the bearing and plinth there is very little of the original left and I feel that it sounds better than the original, no I personally wouldn't replace the bits I have with Linn bits. Stupid crazy prices. My opinion only, not an argument.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm only reporting what the dealer said. These things need to be reported and thought about.

I've had a Linn since the very early eighties apart from the bearing and plinth there is very little of the original left and I feel that it sounds better than the original, no I personally wouldn't replace the bits I have with Linn bits. Stupid crazy prices. My opinion only, not an argument.

What spec is your Linn? There are many third party upgrades that I consider build on the strengths of the LP12 and quite a few that flush them down the toilet.

The Majik Subchassis is £100 cheaper than the Vivid and hugely outperforms it, so I would challenge your opinion on 'Stupid crazy prices'

If you read between the lines, my " Linn " is no longer a Linn. Your opinion is you opinion, and you're entitled to it, but so am I.

In my opinion Linn is like Naim, there is ALWAYS ways to spend money on it. I've heard Linns with upgrades done and occasionally they sound worse then, than beforehand.

I've got a Linn with a PU7 on it, I've had a Naim based system neither are for me. I use my Linn with a mono cartridge on it, but use a 401 for pleasure. A friend has a Naim system that I hear often, but I don't want to listen to it all the time, but that's ok we are all different and we make different choices.

I'll say again, the dealer made a statement that I've reported, his opinion not mine.

Sounds like Roberts remarks were tempered by his experiences of trying to satisfy a customer with 'alternative' tastes.

If you read between the lines, my " Linn " is no longer a Linn. Your opinion is you opinion, and you're entitled to it, but so am I.

In my opinion Linn is like Naim, there is ALWAYS ways to spend money on it. I've heard Linns with upgrades done and occasionally they sound worse then, than beforehand.

I've got a Linn with a PU7 on it, I've had a Naim based system neither are for me. I use my Linn with a mono cartridge on it, but use a 401 for pleasure. A friend has a Naim system that I hear often, but I don't want to listen to it all the time, but that's ok we are all different and we make different choices.

I'll say again, the dealer made a statement that I've reported, his opinion not mine.
It’s got nothing to do with opinions. The Karousel is a bearing. A mechanical device. I happen to think it’s a rather good one, but that’s by the bye. It will work with non Linn components, depending on satisfactory dimensions. That’s fact.

Returning to my question. What does being able to fit the Karousel on a non-Linn subchassis depend on ? Is it the diameter of the centre hole for the bearing and the thickness of the material used ?

If your sub chassis accepts a Cirkus, then the Karousel will fit. How thick is the sub chassis where the bearing will be mounted? This will be your only issue, as the Karousel mounts with a top nut. Much better method, but if the sub chassis is too thick, then the top nut may foul the sub platter. For information, the Cirkus and Keel sub chassis are only 1.2mm thick(!) Others are as follows; Mober 3.0mm, the Greenstreet is 2.75mm, the Kore is 2.0mm, Rubikon is 4.0mm. As stated before, the Karousel is AOK with the Mober.

According to the hifi world review of the vivid upgrades the acrylic of the sub chassis and arm board is 10 mm thick. Does that mean it’s a no-no ?

Hi, it’s the thickness where the bearing mounts that your after (the Keel isn’t 1.5mm thick all over!). Can’t you just measure it?

If your sub chassis accepts a Cirkus, then the Karousel will fit. How thick is the sub chassis where the bearing will be mounted? This will be your only issue, as the Karousel mounts with a top nut. Much better method, but if the sub chassis is too thick, then the top nut may foul the sub platter. For information, the Cirkus and Keel sub chassis are only 1.2mm thick(!) Others are as follows; Mober 3.0mm, the Greenstreet is 2.75mm, the Kore is 2.0mm, Rubikon is 4.0mm. As stated before, the Karousel is AOK with the Mober.
First sentence isn’t true. I had a Cirkus and Greenstreet. GS needs a shim for the Karousel. The Karousel sounds wonderful.

the Roberts response is pretty typical of my experiences of Linn dealers unfortunately. An attitude of ‘if it isn’t Linn it is sub standard’. My dealer wasn’t that keen on getting the shim from GS and was trying to sell me a Keel. Once it was made clear that I’m not forking out for a Keel the Karousel was fitted....and charged me for stripping the deck down twice whilst waiting for the shim

There aren’t many options when your nearest Linn dealer is 2 hours drive away and the next nearest more than that.....

The Vivid sub-chassis locates the springs and the bearing by the same method. Probably aluminium, possibly SS, "top hat" inserts that fit from below, the brim taking the acrylic load, a hole in the top of the hat to take bolt or bearing.

Surely can't be more than 2mm of aluminium/SS????????

If the Karousel has no greater a maximum OD than the Cirkus it ought to fit.

This may work - https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=wcZCKwmU&id=FCEDC0E2282B4C1A59016038A2B603EDC1AB7736&thid=OIP.wcZCKwmUdq9veTf22lLS2QHaE7&mediaurl=http://i46.tinypic.com/3539g0x.jpg&exph=533&expw=800&q=vivid+acrylic+LP12+chassis&simid=608035217630760506&ck=F7CCAE3E98C57F0CEE5855D2D3D30A0A&selectedIndex=3&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0

The Vivid sub-chassis locates the springs and the bearing by the same method. Probably aluminium, possibly SS, "top hat" inserts that fit from below, the brim taking the acrylic load, a hole in the top of the hat to take bolt or bearing.

Surely can't be more than 2mm of aluminium/SS????????

If the Karousel has no greater a maximum OD than the Cirkus it ought to fit.

This may work - https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=wcZCKwmU&id=FCEDC0E2282B4C1A59016038A2B603EDC1AB7736&thid=OIP.wcZCKwmUdq9veTf22lLS2QHaE7&mediaurl=http://i46.tinypic.com/3539g0x.jpg&exph=533&expw=800&q=vivid+acrylic+LP12+chassis&simid=608035217630760506&ck=F7CCAE3E98C57F0CEE5855D2D3D30A0A&selectedIndex=3&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0
Mmmmm, interesting, this from HFWW and a NA Linn dealer;
“Yes, I installed the Karousel in masi61's LP12 along with the Greenstreet sub chassis, the Radikal and an Adikt. I'm glad to hear you are happy with the results, as I would expect you to be considering the scope of your improvements. The Greenstreet sub chassis was a new unit and of similar thickness to a Cirkus sub chassis. No shim was required and the Karousel fit just fine without any extra effort necessary over installing it on a Linn sub chassis. By the way, Linn also has a shim that can be used with pre-Cirkus sub chassis. However, I am not fond of having a piece like this at such a crucial junction point as the bearing mount surface. So I would highly recommend anyone wanting a Karousel to upgrade any pre-Cirkus sub chassis to at least a used Cirkus one, if not one of one of the current Linn units.

To answer another question brought up earlier, the Keel sub chassis appears to be 2mm thick at the bearing housing mounting surface as well. The raised lands are very thin, on the order of one or two tenths of a mm, so they have little effect on the total thickness. So basically it appears that all Linn sub chassis from the Cirkus forward have a thickness at the mounting point of the Karousel of 2mm or very close to it.”

Sort of a sideways comment -

I have often thought that the sheet steel Linn sub-chassis join to the bearing was pretty flimsy and have very often toyed with having a large SS washer turned, to fit over the bearing and then the setscrews go through the washer, through the sub-chassis, into the bearing. I am unsure how much clearance there is between setscrew heads and top-plate, but there must 2mm, I would have thought - enough for the washer and still get clearance. Or just skim the heads of the setscrews.

advertisement

Back