advertisement

Can Digital Coax cables make a difference? ... Yes!

Muttley2

pfm Member
I have been toying with the dilemma as to whether a digital cable could possibly make any perceived improvement to my system for some time. After a lot of research and trawling the web I settled on the Mains Cables R US Ultimate Digital coax as my top choice.
To say the least it has been a bit of a revelation given that it is only transferring 1s and 0s to my DAC. Compared to my previous copper cable the change in sound is quite vast, but then at 4 times the cost it should be. The first thing I noticed was just an overall sense of calm, with to quote Radiohead “Everything in its right place”. There is a lack of digital hash giving all instruments and vocals room to breathe and more importantly be heard. The music flows naturally from the speakers with a room filling 3D sound.
Should a digital cable make a difference? probably not but this one does and for the better. I enjoy tinkering with my system from time to time and its always a pleasant surprise when things turn out for the better. For most it is a take it or leave it subject but in this case I will take it.

If you are happy to pay all that extra money to think things sound better all the power to you.

I have been toying with the dilemma as to whether a digital cable could possibly make any perceived improvement to my system for some time. After a lot of research and trawling the web I settled on the Mains Cables R US Ultimate Digital coax as my top choice.
To say the least it has been a bit of a revelation given that it is only transferring 1s and 0s to my DAC. Compared to my previous copper cable the change in sound is quite vast, but then at 4 times the cost it should be. The first thing I noticed was just an overall sense of calm, with to quote Radiohead “Everything in its right place”. There is a lack of digital hash giving all instruments and vocals room to breathe and more importantly be heard. The music flows naturally from the speakers with a room filling 3D sound.
Should a digital cable make a difference? probably not but this one does and for the better. I enjoy tinkering with my system from time to time and its always a pleasant surprise when things turn out for the better. For most it is a take it or leave it subject but in this case I will take it.

Glad you got value for your money. Whatever I tried from that vendor made sod all difference but I wasn't prepared to play his ultimate game perhaps that was my mistake. He does pride himself on the large number of satisfied customers, most of which are on AoS.

I have found just pulling a plug out and putting it back can make a difference.

Keith you are far too cynical and way off the mark, but glad you enjoyed it.

Obviously I would prefer it to cheaper but it is what it is.

I would hold-out until you've heard the best: Silver Mogwai BNC to BNC (adaptors provided)

Peter

Have you noticed how MCRU cables get bigger and fatter, chunkier with their increased cost/quality/improvement? They really give you confidence that they can handle the job better.

Anyway why didn't you go Tellurium Q they are much better than MCRU offerings. All that unrevealed technology making a difference.

What I've noticed today is two posts from 'Mains Cables R US' recommenders.

And I've not even been looking very hard.

Paul

I can vouch for Peter's cables as I'm using a Silver Mogwai, albeit with a BNC -> phono adapter on one end to go into my Squeezebox.

I'd tried a load of Chord Company cables and got a bit carried away and ended up trying the Indigo+ which is almost a grands worth of cable. Yes it was bloody fantastic, to the point of "I can't believe this is a Squeezebox", but there was no way I was going to spend that much money. The Silver Mogwai gets damned close to this at a very small fraction of the cost.

I would hold-out until you've heard the best: Silver Mogwai BNC to BNC (adaptors provided)

Peter

I did hear Peter's interconnect and it was only 75, and at that time I had some expensive MIT oracle interconnect, and a Nordost red dawn. I preferred Peter's and kept it. Not saying MIT was not better, but I couldn't be bothered and couldn't make out the difference. That said, I now am going to start trialling virtual dynamics and will report back shortly.

What I've noticed today is two posts from 'Mains Cables R US' recommenders.

And I've not even been looking very hard.

Paul

He is having an Audio Fest soon (open day at home/the office) join the sheep to experience his offerings.

Which is the other thread Paul?

I can vouch for Peter's cables as I'm using a Silver Mogwai, albeit with a BNC -> phono adapter on one end to go into my Squeezebox.

I'd tried a load of Chord Company cables and got a bit carried away and ended up trying the Indigo+ which is almost a grands worth of cable. Yes it was bloody fantastic, to the point of "I can't believe this is a Squeezebox", but there was no way I was going to spend that much money. The Silver Mogwai gets damned close to this at a very small fraction of the cost.

I did hear Peter's interconnect and it was only 75, and at that time I had some expensive MIT oracle interconnect, and a Nordost red dawn. I preferred Peter's and kept it. Not saying MIT was not better, but I couldn't be bothered and couldn't make out the difference. That said, I now am going to start trialling virtual dynamics and will report back shortly.

Thank you for your kind comments.

We're working on a rather more expensive cable that will be called "Pure Silver Mogwai", so you're welcome to compare to the Virtual Dynamics. I'll let you know when it arrives, or feel free to prompt me in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again,
Peter

I'm using common optical.
100% ground interference proof.

BNCs are Bery Nice Cables for people that hasn't seen the light ...yet.
:)

Michael

advertisement

Back