advertisement

Can anyone suggest Flatcap 2X mods?

I have a Flatcap 2X being used to take audio out of a Supernait 2 and into a Dirac live room correction thing and then back into the Supernait 2. It would probably sound better if there was a way to leave the 5 and 4 pin Dins in place but still power the preamp section from the Supernait supply.

Can the Flatcap 2X be upgraded by changing regulators or Caps etc?

Really? There must be 100's. The search function is up at the top right.

Have you looked inside?

Perhaps speak to any/ all of the following:

Sean Jacobs
Avondale
Witch hat

My strong recommendation would be to sell it and get a new finished supply from one of the above. If you go down the modding route you will only loose money.

'Voltage regulation' will drown you in results.

Also - try a read through these:
http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/naim/powersupplies.html

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/3pin_reg_notes1.html

- In fact there's a bunch of stuff at that domain that may be helpful as a starting point, if you just scroll down the left sidebar a bit.

(disclosure - yes, my site, but full credit given for all the Naim stuff - not mine, but generously contributed by other longstanding members here, as a ... range of serving suggestions. While some of the pages are now a few years old - really, the basics DO NOT change; - and this is tested stuff; so read it as a 'go-to' guide that saves typing it out again and again. : )

Please do raise any questions arising here - there are many with views & experience who will contribute. ATB.

@Dan K is 100% correct in what he says...

You will loose Money messing with the flatcap.

I had a flatcap xs many moons ago
I honestly believed it made my 272 sound worse (than its own power supply)
They really are a nasty expensive box of emptyness.

I shipped mine off to Sean Jacobs (CHC) and he changed the regs and supplied cables to "short circuit " the runs of cable to and from the PS
This COMPLETELY transformed the FCxs into something to be proud of.

Would I recommend it....NO*
Would I recommend selling the FC and buying a decent PS (from TP or CHC or making your own) YES

* unless you are totally committed to naim /naim style box's on your rack

The Flatcap 1 is basically a NAPSC in a big box, totally lame, silly waste of space and a ripoff and shame on Naim, no cosmic harm done butchering it, surely lots of fun figuring out how to fill all the empty space. The 2 or XS or whatever is wimpy Hicap, smaller transformer, not sure of the caps maybe 10,000uf but prolly 4700uf. The rest is the simple LM317 reg setup Naim always uses. It's fine the way it is, half way in the product line to a Hicap and shouldn't be butchered. If you really want or need a Naim PS sell the FC save up and buy a used Hicap but honestly the XS is way more than adequate to power the preamp in the Supernait, can you really hear the difference? The whole point of the NAITs, Super or otherwise, is that it's one uncluttered box, unless you plan on upgrading to separates one step at a time as Naim intended I wouldn't bother with a PS on the Supernait.

advertisement

Back