advertisement

Can anyone identify this Hi-Fi Rack?

Stephen Peacock

I have a High-end hifi rack that I bought used from a well-known auction site back in 2009. I was told the brand and model at the time, but I have no records unfortunately.

Can anyone identify it from the photos in the link?

Description

• I do know it was about £1100 new as I researched it before buying.
  • The second photo shows the shelves are machine-routed in a helix* form and filled with some solidified higher-density powder of some kind.
  • The entire rack's fabric is MDF* powder-coated in matt grey Nextel*, this was an optional OEM colour and distinguishes it visually from other racks.
  • Each of the three upright legs are solid beech*.
  • The rack itself is three separate solid pieces screwed to the pine uprights with M6(?) set-screws.
  • The shelves are each interfaced with the rack by four small rubber dimples about 10mm diameter.
  • The three beech uprights each have a black cone about 30mm diameter for contact with the floor.
  • It is not modular and you are stuck with the four shelves, the top shelf is the largest maybe to accommodate a TT
MzTx6S1oB2wN95PA7NwMLgWx

It is the best-performing rack* I've ever used, and even if I part my system out I may keep hold of it. Someone must also own, sold one or seen this rack before?

Many thanks in advance...

* Edited using the kind feedback of PFM posters.

Last edited:
That’s a bit spooky as I have the same rack in storage. I think the rear pillar is black on mine and I recognise the swirl cut on the shelving. I think I bought mine used around 15 years ago.
I had no idea who made it, thanks for putting a name to it.

Aas far as I know, Clearlight are still around, although I think production of the racks ceased a few years back. They offer RDC 'cones' as used on the rack and the SPP(?) platform which is/was as per the shelf on the rack, a slab of MDF with the helix cut-out on the underside. Not sure if the platform's still available.

The version of the shelves you have with the Nextel finish were only available as an option on the rack IIRC.

If memory serves, the wooden uprights are beech, not pine. Looked at one of these myself back in the day, but eventually opted for something else.

Still around.
RDC cones are one of the best VFM supports going
By coincidence as of today I am trying out an RDC platform under my kitchen system, Pioneer PD-S703

Might be quite effective under the Pioneer. All these things involve a bit of tial and error/ synergy/dumb luck. I seem to recall I had somewhat mixed results, but the platforms were very effective with a friend's Arcam CDP and amp on some glass-shelved double-width monstrosity.

advertisement

Back