advertisement

Can an Exposure IV Single be converted to Regulated IV

UKSwede

pfm Member
I have often thought as the Regulated IV is so much better than the un-regulated one, would a DIY upgrade be possible. In the DR4 it has 2x transformer compared to one in the single. So mod would just be on regulation

But what about trying to fit regulation to the unregulated IV. There is loads of space in the IV so surely Les @Avondale could think of something

Any views, or have others though about this?

I asked Tony Brady some time ago about getting my old IV Dual converted to dual-reg but he said it wasn't possible, sadly. He did give a reason why but it went a bit over my head.

David - if I rember rightly (and this is bearing in mind I'm a complete non-technical sort of chap) Tony said something along the lines of there not being enough voltage in the system (be it from transformers or whatever) to run the regulator boards.

Wished I'd kept his email - knew it would be useful at some point! :D

It wouldn't be economic

You'd need two new traffos, new res caps, another rectifier plus the regs boards themselves.

You only keep the case which gains some new holes and the amp boards.

Maybe in the DR4 there is more supply from the transformer to allow for drop across regulator boards...:(

And on another Exposure conversion theme...

There's a popular view that Exposure VII single preamps can be converted to the dual version. I spoke to Andy at Exposure recently and he says they get a lot of queries about this but they don't do it nor do they recommend it.

Pete

And on another Exposure conversion theme...

There's a popular view that Exposure VII single preamps can be converted to the dual version. I spoke to Andy at Exposure recently and he says they get a lot of queries about this but they don't do it nor do they recommend it.

Pete

Unusual response !!

Single to Dual; This was an option at point of sale and an aftersale upgrade for owners who bought the single instead of the dual so they could eventualy use multiple psu either six's or a nine back in the day or a twelve much later on so the seven ran as a true dual-mono psu's to pcb's.

It may be the 'other' mod (non factory sanctioned) that split the internal psu tails on the pcb's so you could run four psu's or all outputs of a nine, now that was never supported

advertisement

Back