advertisement

Camera purchase advice please.

Ebay is a great source of inexpensive used cameras. Just be very picky about the condition and the seller. Look for many high quality close up photos, detailed descriptions and a seller with a very high rating (if less than 99.8% read some of the negative reviews and exercise caution, avoid any seller with less than 99% rating). Sellers from Japan can be very good, but you will need to factor in about 30% of the purchase price on import fees.

I've bought loads of camera stuff via Ebay (including my RX100) and rarely had problems. I've occasionally bought stuff from sellers in Japan, but usually only stuff that's a bit hard to find here - stuff like Pentax medium format lenses although the last thing I bought via that route was a rather lovely Voigtlander Bessa-R (those being hard to find and expensive in the UK now and I wanted something modernish that used screw-mount Leica lenses).

Like Andrew mentioned I also take a good look at the sellers history and also the photos of the items, and also avoid anyone with single line descriptions.

I would look out for deal on Camera Price Buster as well, the Sony A7 was only £585 yesterday, and the kit lens bundle was also priced very low.
I prefer to use vintage primes instead of the kit lens which are dirt cheap as well, might not be the default choice, but it is a lot of fun.

I’m wondering whether the general(ish) consensus of the Sony RV100 still stands?

I’m mainly attracted by its optical zoom as this is the main area that my iPhone 10 falls down only having a 2x optical.

On holiday currently and just am not able to do shots like this (of Inishbofin) justice with my phone.

.sjb

Buying a £1000 phone is like buying a Sondek, then all the addons. Of course yer gonna defend it...ye paid a large amount of money for it.Expensive phones have good cameras, that's all they are ...good. A £1000 camera is far superior tae any phone which has a camera. :cool:

What occured 3 years back? Cold feet? Unable to decide?
I hope i could help again but, what's changed sine then?
A fair few cameras are designed to step up from the simplicity of an iPhone + a zoom and maybe a tad extra image quality, since, as you can guess, that has been where a lot of interest has fallen in the market.
You need, IMO to define exactly the zoom range you think you need,
define what is wrong with the iPhone pics and
decide on what bulk you are prepared to put up with
define your need to be 'cool' or not, set a budget and
accept most all modern cameras can transfer images to S Media with ease.
Advice will then flood in... meanwhile read this?
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-easy-to-use-cameras

What occured 3 years back? Cold feet? Unable to decide?

I was caught between a compact and a bridge camera and my son and his then girlfriend got a bridge one which initially they used frequently but then less and less. These having 20+ zoom made the 8x zoom on the compacts seem puny so I prevaricated.

You need, IMO to define exactly the zoom range you think you need

hard to know. In the photo I posted above I would have liked to be able to have the island (or part of it clear and present). I suppose I want as much as I can reasonably get in a compact.

decide on what bulk you are prepared to put up

No extra bulk, has to be no bigger than my phone and easily fit in my pocket.

Furthermore I’m not to worried about video at all, and I probably will use it in automatic mode over 90% of the time. I will need to have a wireless way of getting pictures to my iphone to share.

I’d be willing to buy the current Sony RX100vii so my budget is just north of £1000.

I suppose my main question in resurrecting this thread is whether the vii will be superseded in the near future as if one was more than likely going to be released in 2023, I’d wait for that. The other question is whether other alternatives have appeared since the Sep 2020.

Thanks

.sjb

weeellll
I was looking for exactly this a few years back, and bought a canon G5X Mk2, instead of the Sony.
I prefer Canons' menus and colours
It has a great sensor, a proper (pop up) viewfinder if you feel all photographic
but a slightly shorter zoom range than the Sony.
Honestly? These cameras produce pics so close to each other in quality there isn't a midge to slide between them.
With your needs, I'd buy the Sony. Its got all you need and the updates you might get will do very very little.
If you go look at John Lewis for example, they are ok if you take a memory card in your pocket, take a few pics and take them home for a glance.

Hello! I have slowly stopped taking my SLR's out, except on very special occasions... but found a wee camera I use all the time, with consistently good results. It's the Fujifilm X30. I had the X20 and loved it: small, metal bodied Leica style camera with an optical viewfinder and an amazing zoom: 28-112 mm and does macro to 1 centimetre! It handles like an SLR: you turn the zoom barrel manually. The X30 has a larger and very good digital viewfinder, and a later generation sensor.The sensor size on both is relatively small, but their processing algorhythms and anti-shake features make for reliably sharp pictures, with those gorgeous Fuji colours. It outperforms my Iphone SE, especially for telephoto and very close up work. And it's a thing of beauty itself.

advertisement

Back