advertisement

Camera for Photography Student

MVV

pfm Member
My first post in this bit. I'm completely out of touch with photography now. I was very keen in my arty years- darkrooms a Nikkormat the whole bit. My daughter is planning to go to university to do a photography based course and I'd like to help her get a good camera but haven't a clue about the digital world.

What would you recommend? Probably new as I think some kind of guarantee would help? (SLR £300 TO £400 ish) Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Hi

there's quite a lot to choose from under £500. For a photography course, I would expect them to need some manual control, but not particularly to need a range of focal lengths. So I'd be looking for something like a second hand Nikon D200 with a 35mm DX lens. Most of the packages at the 300-400 mark are fully automatic consumer orientated cameras with slow zooms.

Wait until they define what they suggest. The uni may well have a supply of lenses she can rent/borrow, so it makes sense to have a camera that can cope with those lenses. As uncle Cliff says, it's most likely to be Nikon.

As per what richard says above, hang fire and see if the uni has a supply of lenses.
If you are looking for a decent used dslr, a canon 40d or nikon d90 tend to be a good buy, both were a couple of tiers up in the respective manufacturers ranges a couple years back and have been superceeded a couple of times but they still offer exellent funtionality and image quality, lenses and accessories are widely available.

As per what richard says above, hang fire and see if the uni has a supply of lenses.
If you are looking for a decent used dslr, a canon 40d or nikon d90 tend to be a good buy, both were a couple of tiers up in the respective manufacturers ranges a couple years back and have been superceeded a couple of times but they still offer exellent funtionality and image quality, lenses and accessories are widely available.

The D90 is a nice camera, but can't meter AIS lenses, so you'd have to use manual mode for the speed / aperture and meter using a separate meter.

advertisement

Back