advertisement

Camera Clubs

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
Any Camera Club members here? I'm thinking through some opportunities to do some more collaborative photography and have signed up my local Camera Club (or Photographic Society and it is known here).

First impressions are that I'm not 100% sure it's for me. In the first zoom meeting someone said " he looks a bit young to be joining our club" which, given that I'm 60 grey and bald, should probably be taken as a bit of flattery but ....

Anyway, I'm going to give it a go for a month or so - they have some interesting presentations but the initial impression is that it may be more at the Amateur Photographer end of things than BJP.

Any experiences or thoughts?

Kevin

Last edited:
It's something I've thought about but haven't done so far, although maybe once I retire I might. There are some very good clubs here in Edinburgh by the looks of it.

I remember my dad being a camera club member in Stafford in the 60s and early 70s and it was a pretty good social life. So could be a good move.

The days leading up to the annual club competition and exhibition were bad for us, the bathroom doubled up as the darkroom and was out of commission. The bath was final rinse, and a board over the bath carried the enlarger.

We got dragged across the country to pick up prizes, and he got some dosh for a picture of the Silver Jubilee of 1977 printed in the Sun too.

Later he was ‘invited’ to join ‘The’ Camera Club in London which gave access to glamour studio stuff. Some of those prints are in my attic somewhere.

Reactions: kjb
I've been a member of four over the last 45 years! I used to go with my Dad to the South Birmingham Photographic Society, and I was probably the youngest member. Very social, but very camera oriented - being a spotty teenager with a Zenit B, I was somewhat at the bottom of the social ladder, whereas if I'd had a Nikon F and all the gizmos I'd have been revered. The sometimes took photographs! A sub group of members used to take over a pub in the lake district (the Outgate Inn) for weekends which were fun. When I went to university I helped run the camera club at Aston, and we built a fantastic darkroom that opened the week I left. I joined the Mill Photographic club when I moved to Banbury, but there were only about six members, but we did have a darkroom that I used quite regularly. My son came along and I went into limbo for a few years and it was his mother that did most of the photography, the results of which are somewhere in NZ.
I joined my current club maybe 20 yrs ago now. The Banbury Camera Club - note NOT photographic society - but almost nobody takes any notice of what sort of camera you use! I've served on the committee, and have been chairman of the club in the past. The club has been going since 1947, and has been as small as 20 members but now is running at about 80, and we regularly get 35+ at our Zoom meetings. Members range from FRPS, through analogue enthusiasts doing wet plate and cyanotypes, digital experts, wildlife gurus, newbies, and a large proportion of ladies, not just recently, but throughout the history of the club, and maybe why it's not too gear oriented. We do practical sessions, lectures, studio sessions, we have an associated monochrome group, and use the facilities of the art dept at Chenderit school, so have a fully equipped darkroom, and the Hesseltine Gallery to hold exhibitions in. A regular feature is the inevitable competition, but having won just about all the cups at one time or another, I've personally stopped entering competitions, but I do think they can help developing photographers hone their skills.
We are a mainly white middle class middle aged group of people, but we do attract the occasional younger members, who do fantastic work then disappear off to uni, get married, move away etc.

Camera clubs are a bit of a self fulfilling prophesy, camera club judges are mainly people who have been successful in camera club competitions, so there is a bit of a vicious circle that stifles or at least doesn't recognise creativity and challenge, but room is made for mavericks like me who have been known to deliberately present 'judge bait' images like 'The Half Bicycle' and the "Purple and Yellow Boat'. You'll meet a lot of really nice people who share your interests, and will see some really good images.

I thought about it, but never quite did it. I go to the annual exhibition and there\s good work, although I seem to often prefer the amateur with ideas to the old pro with the portfolio of tried and trusted. Maybe I need to get beyond 70...

I help run a camera club. I am the studio manager and regularly host workshops where we produce images like this

We are a complete mix of people. Polish people, German people, Japanese people, Swiss people, Dutch people, French people, Male people, Female people, Young people, Old people, Professional people, Beginner people......

...being a spotty teenager with a Zenit B.

Took some of my best photos with a Zenit B back in the sixties. 'Manual everything' certainly taught you the basics of photography.

...camera club judges are mainly people who have been successful in camera club competitions, so there is a bit of a vicious circle that stifles or at least doesn't recognise creativity and challenge.

Getting back on topic. It was the 'vicous circle' that ran camera clubs where I lived in the seventies that turned me off them. I would imagine(hope) that things have improved over the years.

advertisement

Back