advertisement

Camera Choices

Milan

pfm Member
Hi All,

I am considering upgrading and sit here somewhat baffled by choice. It will almost certainly be eBay or similar. I currently use a Nikon D50 and a Canon G9. It is the D50 I would like to upgrade. Obviously I have a couple of Nikon mount lenses so it makes sense to stay with them. My shortlist is as follows;

D90
D5000
D200
Fuji S5 Pro​

I would be interested in what you learned people think. Personally I would love a D700 but that is out of the question financially. Any idea when they will put the full frame sensor in to the lower end of the range?

My budget sits at $800 to $1,000 AUD (about 500-600 UKP).

I'm not sure that there will ever be an FX sensor in a lbody smaller than the D700. I think the limiting factor may be the mirror/viewfinder assembly, hence the reason why the D700 looks like a D300 with a big lump on top.

Of those 4 cameras, the D90 probably has the best sensor / processing arrangement and can also act as a commander to a remote flash unit. I did enjoy my 2 years with the S5 Pro though ;-)

I don't think full-frame sensors will be on sub-£1000 cameras any time soon, if at all. The body size has to increase to contain it, resulting in increased cost and more goodies added to take up the extra room. Also, the smaller sensors are getting better and better, together with better processors. If I really want a full-frame sensor when my 40D dies, I'll try for a 5D of some sort, secondhand.

Tony

Milan,
Hopefully PFM admin will forgive me for 'pushing' another forum on here but as it's not competetive it should be OK (I hope ;-) ), can I suggest that you join Real Photographers Forum - http://www.realphotographersforum.com/ - and ask on there. It is a new forum run by a professional photographer called Hamish Gill who is a real nice and very helpful guy (and a Nikon fanboy) and who also shares our interest in hi-fi.
He will give you unbiased advice and other members may also chip in helpfully as well.
Hope this helps,
Dave.

Hi Cliff,

You may well be right, the D90 does look good on paper.

Hi Dave,

There are number of people on here who have a lot of knowledge and experience with the type of gear I am looking at. I have not spent any time at the RPF but may well give it a try. Thanks.

the D200 is gorgeously built though and takes some stunning photos. My good friend and photography partner has one (im a canon guy personally) but the control and handling of the D200 is just about spot on, and its a lot more solid than a D90

the D200 is gorgeously built though and takes some stunning photos. My good friend and photography partner has one (im a canon guy personally) but the control and handling of the D200 is just about spot on, and its a lot more solid than a D90

I can remember comparing the D200 to the S5 Pro (same body different sensor) a few years back when they were both current and ended up preferring the output from the Fuji sensor.

The DXO site is a good tool for comparing sensors. However, it tells you nothing about the handling/usability of the camera itself.

I'd go for the D5000 - same sensor as the D90/D300, and has the typical Nikon usability. Smaller and lighter too.

Video with AF, promise of low noise at higher ISOs, easy to use. It looks promising Cliff and suggests the D90 replacement with 921K LCD and other tricks might also be quite a camera body. Launch imminent presumably.

I am tempted by the Pentax K7 save for the criticisms of noise and video suffering the usual problems of overheating, diagonals from rolling shutter, no AF and clicking from aperture changes. It's always difficult jumping on board a brand at the right time. I have no lens arsenal to tie me to one, just a desire to get the sort of satisfaction the humble LX2 has given me with it superb Leica lens.

...with no VR and folks scratching their head on what it brings that wasn't there before

Nano crystal coat and SW Motor.

bizarre that there is no VR, given that even the 16-35 1:4 has this, but maybe they were optimising the 85 for weight.

You may also mention for which purpose, i.e. what kind of subjets you want to photograph ...

If nature or portrait I would strongly recommend the S5-Pro.
It has the body of the D200 but in term of color the S5 is way ahead !
I bought the D200 in 2007, after watching and reading every day everything that was said about it on the diverse forums and as I had it the fist S5-Pro pictures came across the forums. I was astoned about the natural of the colors (the green ar IMHO astonishing !) but of course the skin tones are beautiful too.
I eventually sold the D200 and bought the S5 ... by chance w/o loosing money !
The HDR of the S5 is still not reached today (as reported by persons using both S5 and body with actual sensors).
PP is not required ... you can but it is not a must since the S5-Pro is able to provide beautiful JPEG
... so if you do not like PP ...
The S5-Pro has some issue concerning the WB but under DP-Review you can find the so called "Claypaw-method" on the Fuji-Forum that will resolve it completely (I use this method and had no problems at all since then).
The S5-Pro has an equivalent 8 MP so not up to date but enough for A4 and also proper A3.
It is not quick ... so for fast shooting (e.g. animals) the D90 may certainly be better adapted ?
Compared to the actual models, the S5-sensor is certainly more noisy.
Olivier

I can remember comparing the D200 to the S5 Pro (same body different sensor) a few years back when they were both current and ended up preferring the output from the Fuji sensor.
Agreed !

I have a Fuji S5.

The colours are great and the dynamic range is (or was) better than anything else, but it's a slow 6 MP camera with an APS-sized sensor that's somewhat noisy above 400 ISO.

If you're after machine-gun frame rates, higher resolution, a full-frame sensor or high-ISO shots, best to look elsewhere. (It's not an issue for me, because I work within the camera's limitations, but the S5's shortcomings are not trivial relative to today's D-SLRs.)

Joe

Cliff,

Nano crystal coat and SW Motor.
Don't bother. Go retro instead --

D3S_3631-main-600.jpg

Joe

There's a thread on photo.net which appears to have a link on why both Nikon and Canon don't have VR in their 85mm lenses for technical reasons. I didn't read further. BTW the holy trio of benefits on the Nikon 85mm is a better lens hood apparently.

Finally sorted. I stretched my budget and got myself a Nikon D300. I am now busy working out all the settings. A couple of pictures in the picture a week thread.

advertisement

Back