advertisement

Camera bags " what do you use"

koi

pfm Member
What is the bag to go for to carry your DSLR and a couple of lenses and the odd few bits and pieces.

Thanks in advance

Domke F-5XB for lightweight with my Fuji or an old Lowepro Slingshot for when I need a bigger bag...

I bought a Domke F2 original last year and returned it immediately. How anyone could justify the £100+ price tag amuses me. A badly made piece of not so good stuff that I could only imagine would have led to disaster with my gear.

I have two bags now:-
Tenba messenger medium HERE
The Tenba I use for weekends away and it fits a D810 with SIgma 24-105 easily as well as a Sony Tablet and as much charging/cleaning gubbins as I need. I'ts a comfortable over the shoulder number with easy access zip on the top flap. Only downside I can see is lack of much padding on th etop surface which allows surly security at th eairport to turn the bag upside down (why?) and clunk the camera!

Lowe Pro HERE

This is a superb backpack and holds the D810 plus lens in an inner removable bag with much space left in the backpack for a Tamron 70-200, all the accessories, piece of string, frogs toe, rusty nail, etc etc....you get the pic.

Sadly I have no idea if either are still manufactured

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My lowepro takes, 7d, 70-200, 16-35, 14mm fish, 1.4 converter, speedlight, flash Bender, mini soft box, batteries, charger and ancilleries.

Tamrac Cyberpro Express is my main bag for travel but I have a couple of smaller back packs for short trips:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/321683-REG/Tamrac_526301_5263_CyberPro_Express_Briefcase.html

I've tried just about everything but nothing has come close to this for my own needs. It will take
1DX, 7D Mk II, 150-600, 1.4x, 70-300, 24-105, 16-35, 580 flash and a laptop.
It fits in airline overhead compartments, has wheels and still looks like new after several years use.
If I am going to a sports event then I use an Osprey lightweight ruck sack.

Billingham, my first one is 30 ish years old and is only just starting to show its age.

Pete

Have had a Lowepro Flipside 400AW for a couple of years now which I'm pretty pleased with - sturdy, weatherproof (with the quick pull-out cover) and very comfortable to wear as I've found on a couple of days' Lakeland walking. It's a rear-opening rucksack but I really fancy a shoulder bag so don't have to put the bag on the floor to change lenses etc.

I've been through many camera bags. Shoulder bags, belt systems, backpacks, etc.... Not one was remotely close to perfect.

Until finally I found the Think Tank Speed Freak

This bag is superb. It can hold my 5D3, 17-40 F4L, 24-105 F4L IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 1.4X TC and my 10x42 binoculars in the front pocket. Side pockets will hold 500ml bottles of water, various places for cards, batteries, etc. It can take body with 70-200 mounted, or 70-200 with 1.4X mounted on it, my 300 F4L IS fits in (eg body + 24-105, 70-200 + 1.4X, 300), but usually carry my 300 in a separate pouch connected to the side of the bag. The bag can be used as a shoulder bag or use the belt option (built in, stows away neatly.

Once I got this I sold all my other imperfect bags I'd accumulated over the years and never again felt the need to buy another bag.

Note: Mine is the V1. They now sell the V2.0 - no idea how different it is. https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/speed-freak-v2

A Tamrac Expedition 7X as a large bag to store almost everything.

A Lowepro Flipside 400AW as a day bag. It can take my 5D3, 70-200 f2.8, 16-35 f4, 50, and a few bits and bobs.

Billingham Packington.

Big enough to put my camera gear, my laptop, a change of clothes and wash things for a business trip away.

I have had a bag stolen with laptop, phone, camera etc before so I tend to just put the lens on I'll most and leave the bag at home these days!! Shame as I've had a load of good ones. The one that was stolen was a Manfrotto.. maybe a giveaway?!

I have a huge collection, and I choose the best one for the day. One of my favourites is a £10 bag bought from a link on facebook, as it will hold a body and a couple of lenses and I can attach my battery pack and water bottle to the outside. I have a lowepro bumbag I bought 20 years ago, and a large lowepro grey bag I bought 20 years ago s/h! I have a couple of Tamrac bags but my main system is a couple of Lowepro belts and lens and camera pouches, fits around my waist and I can carry just what I need and its all at hand. Occasionally use a photographic waistcoat (gilet) in the summer, but not actually as useful as I thought it would be... I'm sure I have a few others as well. No single bag will carry all my kit though.

I change between bags depending on what I want to take, just like Jem.
I have a Lowe Stealth Reporter, CompuRover backpack and a 20 year old bumbag as well as a Domke F6.

Mostly travelling lighter I use a Lowe Passport I got for $18 (normal retail was $99) which holds the camera, 1 lens attached, 2 other smaller lenses and the essential few extras. It has an outer pocket for a bottle of water too.

Domke F-5XB (sand) for my m4/3 Olympus.

Domke F-5XC (olive) for my Nikon DSLRs.

Compact, durable, lightweight, and sort of a nice retro look to them.

I think I still have a Tamrac "system" bag floating around somewhere, though I rarely use it.

Despite recommendation from Mick, I still bought a Billingham. :D (Hadley Pro I think.)

It is a very fine bag which will accommodate my Canon 450 D + four lenses , a small but good quality tripod etc.

Downside is it kills my shoulder. I am going to order the extra padding piece for the shoulder strap. This is I think more a kit issue than a bag issue.

If I use the bag for just camera and one lens (17-85), it also serves as an overnight/weekend bag.

Mull

I have :-

Billingham Hadley Pro, lightweight day trips - recommend the shoulder pad - though its not cheap!! Lovely bag, with enough space for other bits and pieces for a day out.

Billingham 335, overnight trips, useful additional storage

Tamrac Anvil Slim 11 Backpack, for serious days out!!! Although I run a mirrorless system, the larger section in this back will quite happily take my 3LT Travel Tripod, and I can fit other gear (food/water) around the camera gear

Downside is it kills my shoulder. I am going to order the extra padding piece for the shoulder strap. This is I think more a kit issue than a bag issue.

With that amount of weight the shoulder pad is essential, but I have also found wearing it as a cross-over (cross body) bag makes it much more manageable on long days out, although the coolness level drops!!!!!

I have a set of the billingham rucksack straps which are good for spreading the weight.
I got mine cheap from eBay.

Pete

got a black and orange crumpler pretty boy... but hardly use it as I just tend to walk around with my camera and lens attached..

advertisement

Back