advertisement

Cambridge Streamer App Problem

ian1948

Hi. Not sure if this is in right forum but if not will admin move it to where it should be please. My system is old but suits-me Naim Olives to which I’ve recently added a Cambridge CXN V2 Streamer. I have a library of 3000 albums on a mains powered WD hard drive. I’m very pleased with the sound quality of the streamer and it connects very well to my Wi-fi. But the Stream Magic app is woeful. It loses the streamer and is very difficult to reconnect even after a reinstall. The diy bit comes in because my son has suggested I think about using a Raspberry pi. I guess he’s saying connect my 4tb WD mains powered had to the pi and use upnp software to pass tracks to the streamer (I would want to use my tablet as a Wi-fi remote control). I need a lot of help here please as I’m in my early 70s - how does this all hang together, what hardware do I need and what software is required? All help and recommendations would be ever so gratefully received and appreciated.

As always, I find Bubble UPnP superior to any of the makers apps and it works with almost anything. you should be able to load that onto your phone.

Think I need to add a bit more by way of explanation. Perfectly happy with the Cambridge. 4tb drive connected directly to it and if I use the buttons on the Cambridge remote or on its face everything works fine. It finds the Wi-fi with no problem although in this situation it doesn’t really need it. I used the Stream Magic app successfully for about an hour and then the app “froze”. Rebooting and reinstalling didn’t help and the app wouldn’t find the streamer again. Internet research found many people with this problem but no remedies. Hence me wanting not to use that app and my son suggesting a Raspberry and maybe running it as a upnp server as there doesn’t seem to be a problem with Wi-fi.

Another member suggested I copied my original thread from diy forum to here as this forum would also prove helpful.

With my Stream Magic I also find that the Cambridge Connect app is more reliable than the Stream Magic app.

Can you connect your Cambridge Cxn directly to the router bypassing WiFi. I have mine connected this way and have no problems using Streamagic app.

Can you connect your Cambridge Cxn directly to the router bypassing WiFi. I have mine connected this way and have no problems using Streamagic app.
Distance too great unless wired around outside of house. Using Powerline Extender in room and getting 35mbps next to dongle and no problem with streamer connecting to HiFi. Problem was with app losing the streamer.

Are you using the Android version of the app? If so, there are a couple of issues with modern versions of Android. The operating system is set up to be quite aggressive in trying to extend the battery life.

First thing is you need to remove Stream Magic from the list of apps which are battery optimised. This stops the app going to sleep if the operating system doesn't sense any user input.

Secondly after you have done this the WiFi connection is broken if the tablet goes to sleep. You need to install an app to keep the screen awake when streaming.

Read through my comments in this thread for more information.

With my Yamaha WXAD10 re-establishing connection once lost was difficult.

Are you using the Android version of the app? If so, there are a couple of issues with modern versions of Android. The operating system is set up to be quite aggressive in trying to extend the battery life.

First thing is you need to remove Stream Magic from the list of apps which are battery optimised. This stops the app going to sleep if the operating system doesn't sense any user input.

Secondly after you have done this the WiFi connection is broken if the tablet goes to sleep. You need to install an app to keep the screen awake when streaming.

Read through my comments in this thread for more information.

With my Yamaha WXAD10 re-establishing connection once lost was difficult.
I’m using IOS as I have an iPad but thanks for the reply.

advertisement

Back