1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cambridge Audio CD4SE Display LED bulb replacement

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Chaggy78, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Chaggy78

Chaggy78 pfm Member

Hi
    I have a Cambridge Audio CD4SE CD Player that has two dead LED bulbs on the display backlight and I was wondering if anyone knows if they can be replaced and if so which bulbs should I use?
    I would appreciate any help.
    Thank you.

2. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Are you sure that it is the LEDs and not dropper resistors at fault?

3. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Pictures?

4. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

I have found that LED failure is usually caused by lead stress near the package. III-V semiconductors are not inert in air like silicon is, so bending the lead breaks the hermetic seal and the chip dies

5. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Bending it without holding the last couple of mm in a pair of needle nose pliers might not be the best idea. But it's no guarantee of failure. Lifespan and parts quality is the buggy.

6. chartz

chartz pfm Member

I did that in an old QUAD 66. I replaced the bulbs with orange leds to great effect, making sure the voltage drop was enough so that brightness was correct.

[​IMG]

7. Chaggy78

Chaggy78 pfm Member

Hi thanks kindly for your reply I will get some photo's for you to see as soon as I can. The display on the CD4se Has 3 bulbs and only one is currently working.