advertisement

Calming original Rega Planar 2 motor noise

Phil Bishop

pfm Member
I was recently lucky enough to pick up an original 1978 Rega Planar 2 for my daughter off a kind member who offered it to me free in return for a donation to charity. Apparently, the deck had been sitting around unused for 15 years or so in a shed.

I gave it a quick wipe over with a damp cloth, cleaned and oiled the bearing and tried to sneak a bit of light oil down the pulley shaft into the motor. It now looks great and runs like a dream and actually the motor noise is similar, in fact in one case less, than recent Rega offerings I have had.

However, with my hands on the plinth I can feel some low level vibrations and there appears to be some low level rumble. I'm wondering if with these original old Planar 2's this was accepted or whether there is a way to reduce the noise floor further? Any advice welcome :)

Is the rubber suspension for the motor in good shape, and strung up properly? If it starts to sag the motor can touch the base.

IME, and having read a lot in the topic on the net, that rumble is mostly caused by the ageing caps in the TT's PSU. replace them with the same value X2 rated ones and the rumble will disappear

I was recently lucky enough to pick up an original 1978 Rega Planar 2 for my daughter off a kind member who offered it to me free in return for a donation to charity. Apparently, the deck had been sitting around unused for 15 years or so in a shed.

I gave it a quick wipe over with a damp cloth, cleaned and oiled the bearing and tried to sneak a bit of light oil down the pulley shaft into the motor. It now looks great and runs like a dream and actually the motor noise is similar, in fact in one case less, than recent Rega offerings I have had.

However, with my hands on the plinth I can feel some low level vibrations and there appears to be some low level rumble. I'm wondering if with these original old Planar 2's this was accepted or whether there is a way to reduce the noise floor further? Any advice welcome :)
Hi Phil,

As @coltrane suggests above, the noise is likely to be down the the phase capacitor. Assuming nothing has been altered from original, with this vintage Planar there will be a single 0.22uF/10/400 capacitor present. Also, replacing the old 15kOhm mains dropper carbon resistor with a 12kOhm metal oxide type (for the UK market, 10kOhm for Europe) should keep this classic working fine for another 50+ years.

Rega-Planar-2-motor-electrics-early.jpg

Hi Phil,

As @coltrane suggests above, the noise is likely to be down the the phase capacitor. Assuming nothing has been altered from original, with this vintage Planar there will be a single 0.22uF/10/400 capacitor present. Also, replacing the old 15kOhm mains dropper carbon resistor with a 12kOhm metal oxide type (for the UK market, 10kOhm for Europe) should keep this classic working fine for another 50+ years.

Rega-Planar-2-motor-electrics-early.jpg
Thanks Craig, I have a new motor suspension belt coming and I'll try that first - must say the old one looks pretty loose and worn, not surprising really. If that does not work I'll look at replacing the components you mention - seems sensible to replace them anyway :)

Thanks Craig, I have a new motor suspension belt coming and I'll try that first - must say the old one looks pretty loose and worn, not surprising really. If that does not work I'll look at replacing the components you mention - seems sensible to replace them anyway :)
You're welcome, Phil.

Drop me a PM and I'll forward the belt fitting and motor alignment instructions on to you.

P.S. As you are going to have the motor halfway out, it is even easier to flip the PCB and solder in new parts.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back