advertisement

Calling on all Okki Nokki Users

Conster

pfm Member
Just got one as a gift and am curious to get best use out of machine.

Wondering how much of the included liguid is required for best results. I have seen videos on the net and it appears that most use a lot of fluid?

The clamp seems to come loose during vacuming and I have read some ppl use plastic washers to prevent this from happening. Also I have seen many ppl vacuum counter clockwise despite the manual instructions saying to vacuum clockwise.

Lastly I have noticed that on vacuum mode after 2 revolutions when I switch off the vacuum switch there is sometime some leftover streaks when the wand pops up wondering if I am using too much liquid?

my experience is...
I put on enough fluid to wet the record surface...it doesn't need to flood.

I never had the clamp work loose, and why should it?

If the maker says clockwise, why go counter clockwise? You scrub in both directions ofc, but vacuum clockwise only.

Finally, no they mostly do this if the velvet pads are old (is it new or used?), mine does too, but I just mop it up with some kitchen roll. All part of the 'fun' :)

I use an Okki Nokki RCM, but I don't use their cleaning fluid. Instead, I use L'Art du Son fluid, and just enough of it to thoroughly wet the grooves. I use a Mobile Fidelity cleaning brush as well, instead of the supplied goat hair brush.

I vacuum in the counter clockwise direction because this has a tightening effect on the clamp. I tried clockwise, but as you have seen, the clamp tends to loosen up that way.

I distribute the fluid, then clean a 120 degree arc, scrubbing lightly in both directions. I do this 3 times, then add a little fluid and wet the whole surface again. Then I wait approximately 30 seconds, and vacuum the liquid off. When vacuuming, I let the record go through 6 or 7 rotations, then stop the vacuum and platter and move on to side 2. I use a dry dusting cloth to clean any dust etc. from the platter if needed.

I then put the record in a new Mobile Fidelity sleeve. Finished.

BB

L art du son, scrub, vacuum, reverse osmotic filtered water rinse, vacuum, pat any drop with microfibre cloth.

Also when you have applied the cleaning fluid leave it on for a short while before vacuuming it off , Bit likr the wheatabix in a bowl syndrome , Try removing dry wheatbix is almost imposible fill it with water and a couple of minutes later it comes off easy

I tend to use a bit more liquid rather than a bit less: it's no big deal if a few drops spill over the edge, and this way I imagine there is a nice roiling action around the groove. I have a squeezy bottle and put 3 squirts. Let soak a minute if the record is dirty, otherwise go straight to brushing (4 turns clockwise, 2 or 3 turns anti-clockwise). Vacuum 2 turns, clockwise. I use the old Okki Nokki felt brush rather than the one with long bristles, and lift the vacuum wand by hand (rather than relying on the rather weak spring) to minimize streaks.

I use the Okki Nokki fluid and always rinse with purified water after vacuuming the fluid. Vacuum the rinsing water, pat dry any remaining drops or streaks of water with a paper towel (microfibre would be better, as suggested by sq), pop into new inner liner. Keep the platter clean.

I've never had the clamp come loose during vacuuming.

Blimey there's a lot of OCD going on here.

I just use the ready mixed stuff from Paul Stewart called "The right one" I think he helped design the L'art du son formula at Loricraft.

Ready mixed so just squirt it on, couple of spins with a brush and then vacuum with no rinsing.

As great as L'Art Du Son is, be aware that it's best not to mix up too much at a time as you may find that it can "go off" if not used quickly enough.

I always store in a clear bottle and hold it up to the light to see if there is anything "growing" in the fluid before use.

I once had what seemed to be the contents of a snotty nose floating around in the fluid which was the last thing I wanted to clean my vinyl with.

which is IIRC 87% distilled/ionised water
11% Industrial alcohol
2% wetting agent.

Seems to do the biz just fine. for a fraction of the 'named brand' cost.

I use an Okki Nokki RCM, but I don't use their cleaning fluid. Instead, I use L'Art du Son fluid, and just enough of it to thoroughly wet the grooves. I use a Mobile Fidelity cleaning brush as well, instead of the supplied goat hair brush.

I vacuum in the counter clockwise direction because this has a tightening effect on the clamp. I tried clockwise, but as you have seen, the clamp tends to loosen up that way.

I distribute the fluid, then clean a 120 degree arc, scrubbing lightly in both directions. I do this 3 times, then add a little fluid and wet the whole surface again. Then I wait approximately 30 seconds, and vacuum the liquid off. When vacuuming, I let the record go through 6 or 7 rotations, then stop the vacuum and platter and move on to side 2. I use a dry dusting cloth to clean any dust etc. from the platter if needed.

I then put the record in a new Mobile Fidelity sleeve. Finished.

BB

Not heard of anyone doing 6 or 7 rotations. I only do 2, which I think the instructions recommend.

To the Op. I find if the clamp is screwed tight enough it doesn't come loose. Also it is normal for the wand to leave a streak, but I dab it dry with a microfibre cloth.

my wand left no streaks for about 200 records worth from new, then started to do it. It may then be that streaky wands need new velvet pads? Or maybe the vacuum has less strength at the contact point as age wears the metal sleeve?

advertisement

Back