advertisement

calling Garrard gurus

Hi Patrick et al,
That is one of the problems with cellulose thinners it does soften the rubber very often beyond recovery and also tends to make it sticky as well as it attacks the binding agents. I don't use it for this purpose and haven't for the past 50 odd years servicing all type of t/t . I only ever use Methylated Spirit or IPA.

John Caswell

Holy Smokes Batman !!!!!!
What a great link. Thanks Markus .
Bought 2L of 99% Isopropanol with a super soft brush and cleaning towels.
I will strip the unit in order to soak the dust bug off.
Thanks for the advice guys I really do appreciate it.
What kind of oil should be used for the motor/felt retaining washer?
Thanks again Guys.

rugyboogie wrote
"What kind of oil should be used for the motor/felt retaining washer?"
Oh Blimey yet another minefield. One thing I would not use is any bottles of "original" Garrard oil as it is liable to have oxidised over the years.
I use a modern fully synthetic SAE 5W40 oil generally and find it excellent. I have also heard/read good reports on Redline SAE 5W30 oils, and others have used a standard SAE30 with Molyslip additive.
I guess you pays your money and takes your pick.
I leave this open for comments, insults, sarcasm, whatever.

John Caswell

Should there be oil on the washer of a grease bearing 301? I'd have thought you simply turned the 'pump' knob until a little grease was forced up out of the top of the bearing and kept an eye on it, i.e. if it starts to look a bit dry the knob needs another turn. My suspicion is that oiling the top washer would dilute the grease beneath, which is probably not a great idea. I need to qualify this by saying I've not researched grease bearing 301s at all as mine has the oil bearing. On the oil bearing deck the felt washer is to provide a reservoir to the top sintered busing. The grease bearing deck uses non-sintered bushings.

Tony.

More eBay insanity, an admittedly clean looking late cream grease bearing 301 minus platter and mat makes 921 quid!

Tony.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back