advertisement

Calling all Pentax cognescenti

The shake reduction is worth four stops, but I guess a tripod is cheaper than the difference in cost.

I'm not a Pentax guru, but this also applies to Nikon and other manufacturers anyway. Shake reduction is only really worth a stop or two if the subject itself is stationery. For candid or street photography it isn't really worth anything at all, whereas compact size is more useful in these cases.

I'm surprised Vuk wasn't asking about how good the new viewfinder is compared to the iST - The viewfinder is a lot more important to me than almost everything else on a camera especially when manually focussing.

I'm not a Pentax guru, but this also applies to Nikon and other manufacturers anyway. Shake reduction is only really worth a stop or two if the subject itself is stationery. For candid or street photography it isn't really worth anything at all, whereas compact size is more useful in these cases.
I'm only quoting the manufacturer's claim of "up to 4 stops" and, of course, this applies only to stationary subjects.

I'm surprised Vuk wasn't asking about how good the new viewfinder is compared to the iST - The viewfinder is a lot more important to me than almost everything else on a camera especially when manually focussing.
It is as bright as my memory of the *istDS, offers 100% coverage, and is a proper pentaprism. I haven't used the K-5 in anger yet, but will take a few shots when I install my new Lyra Kleos in the weekend. A hand-held 100mm macro lens should be quite revealing of the effectiveness of the SR.

James

I've swapped my D-FA100/2.8 Macro for a DA35/2.8 Limited Macro. The plus bit is an incredibly well made, all-metal and optically superb normal perspective lens. The downer is I have to get really REALLY close for close-ups. Have I done the wrong thing?

An FA77/1.8 Limited also beckons. I should be able to sell the plastic FA35/2AL and FA50/1.4 to fund the new medium telephoto. Eventually, I may lose the DA12-24 for a DA15 Limited.

Has anyone experienced the DA15 against the DA12-24?

Yep. Sharper wide open, but I never use a wide angle lens wide open. Great for starburst type effects in the evening. Nuisnace to use with filters due to the always on metal hood. Sold it to fund a few days in Venice taking pictures with some mates in November. Haven't missed it but it would probably have been perfect for Venice. The DA70 is an extremely nice lens. Slightly slower than the 77 but incredibly sharp and very compact. The 100 macro is a great lens for all sorts of things - nice for landscape as well.

Yep. Sharper wide open, but I never use a wide angle lens wide open. Great for starburst type effects in the evening. Nuisnace to use with filters due to the always on metal hood. Sold it to fund a few days in Venice taking pictures with some mates in November. Haven't missed it but it would probably have been perfect for Venice. The DA70 is an extremely nice lens. Slightly slower than the 77 but incredibly sharp and very compact. The 100 macro is a great lens for all sorts of things - nice for landscape as well.
The DA70/2.4 is not a whole lot cheaper at US$697 compared to the FA77/1.8 at US$785 on B&H Photo. At that price, it might offer some redemption for my giving away an A*85/1.4 some years ago when I switched to Nikon briefly.

I think a DA15/DA35/FA77 makes a nice line-up that'll cover most of the focal lengths I typically need.

I used to carry the K-5 and the 15/40/70 as a great little lightweight set. One lens on and one in each jacket pocket.

I have a 12-24 which I'm about to sell as well. Nikon D800 arriving this week and will be going to 2 systems but the wide angle stuff will all be with the Nikon.

I do a lot of wet weather/winter walking scrambling about on crags. I don't really want the Nikon for that. I like the Pentax weather sealing and keeping the likes of the 16-50, 60-250 and some nice small primes will be useful.

The DA12-24 has found a new home, and the FA50 is also sold pending payment. In anticipation, I've ordered an FA77. Just waiting to see what's going to happen on the DA15 Limited (to buy) and FA35/2AL (to sell) auctions.

advertisement

Back