advertisement

Cadenza Bronze Died, So Sumiko/VDH?

JohnyT

pfm Member
Asking around on a couple forums to see what people think I should do.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a new Ortofon Cadenza Bronze and Musical Fidelity Phono-stage. Originally I had my heart set on a Van Den Hul One Special. No one had one in stock and was told it could now be several weeks before one would be available. Going on the advice of the store owner I went for the Cadenza Bronze instead.
Last weekend I went about installing and playing with loading options, you know the drill. I had it sounding just great however after a few hours I lost the left channel. Long story short it's the Cadenza Bronze which was at fault. I called the store and was asked to post it back so they could test it. They called me back Friday afternoon to confirm the fault.

I've now been given some options, they don't have a replacement in stock and would take a week or so to get one to me. That's my first option but I've lost confidence in the Ortofon now.
They do have a Sumiko Starling which is actually the cartridge I first wanted before the VDH but I was put off by the price tag. They've offered an exchange plus a bit of a discount making the Sumiko very attractive.
Third option is to get a bit of money back and go the the VDH One Special, just have to wait several weeks and carry on using the MP-500 for now.

I'm leaning towards the Sumiko as the price isn't too much more right now. Thinking ahead though, crikey how much will it cost to replace in 2-3 years?! The VDH is spec'd to last considerably longer and they're very reasonable for repairs/replacements. But the man himself is getting on a bit and years down the line will VDH still be the same?

What would you guys do? Would be particularly interesting to hear from those who have owned any of the carts mentioned.

System is:
Technics 1210G Turntable - Stock arm with Oyaide head shell (about 10grams)
Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista Vinyl Phono-Stage
Yamaha A-S1200 Amplifier
Isol-8 Mini Sub Axis Mains Conditioner
Kef R7 Speakers
Rel T5X Woofer

Last edited:
Deep down you KNOW which cartridge you really want
No more comprises....get the one your heart is tell you to...even if you have to wait a week or three longer

I presume a detachable headsell. Use the Technics one with a cheap runabout and get serious with the Sumiko. Takes all of one minute to swap.

advertisement

Back