advertisement

Cable question - connecting an iMac to a Chord Mojo

Tigerjones

Bagpuss
Afternoon,

What's an appropriate cable to connect a Mojo to an iMac? Is the USB better than the optical out?

Will any USB to Micro USB cable do the trick or does it need a specific one?

I haven't actually bought the Mojo yet but want to make sure when I do I get the right cables.

Thanks

Patrick

I don’t have a view on the different DAC inputs but Flashback sold me a very well made optical cable to run between the headphone socket of my MacBook and a Beresford DAC. I believe that the iMac headphone socket also incorporates an optical out.

Hi Patrick,
I have a mojo, and any usb to micro usb cable will work. It does not have to be a OTG cable. An OTG is only required for Android phones.
I was at first skeptical about USB cable quality having an effect on sound quality, but to my ears at least a better USB cable will give you a better result. Does not have to be too expensive, I am using a cable that cost around £35, it sounds better than the stock cable that came with the Mojo.

iMacs used to have a combined analogue/digital headphone socket but since 2017 they have been analogue only.

Therefore USB is the correct answer for a current iMac.

The designer of the Mojo thinks that the optical input sounds best. On mine though the optical only works up to 96 whatever it is that digital res. is measured in. Try both and see what works for you.

advertisement

Back