advertisement

Cable lifters and supports for mains blocks etc.

YNWOAN

100% Analogue
In the spirit of recent threads, about cables and fuses, I thought I would open up a pfm discussion about speaker cable supports and, more widely, the little equipment tables you can get to support the boxes your speaker cables may have (MIT cables for example), or to support your mains extension block.

Looking at the market as a whole (beyond the UK in other words) you will see that cable lifters (supports) are the new hot accessory and manufacturers are rushing to release products to fill market demand - Nordost and Furutech being two of the most recent*.

Sort%20Systems-Sort%20Lift_600-lightbox.jpg

Furutech_NCF_Booster_hifi_news_oct_2017_ol.jpg

I idea that audio equipment (not just your turntable) should be supported on special supports seems commonly accepted now (YMMV) and, in a similar vein, you can buy smaller versions to put your mains block on etc.

MusicWorks-compact-Catalogue-2017-2.jpg

All view, thoughts, opinions, experiences are warmly welcomed :).

* You can even get clamps for your cables:

image_preview2

Last edited:
Chaps

It's a free world and we can all buy what we want with our own money but buying cable supports makes you look a complete and utter nerd. You would be the sort of man that women will avoid like the plague.

If you do it, don't tell anyone.

Regards

Mick

The cable lifting solutions in the opening post are for novices on a small budget.

I employ a team of Borrowers who hold the cable above their heads, they stand in strategical places around my room determined by Ley lines, Feng Shui and other such nonsense important factors.

It made a night and day difference, the woman in the flat below could clearly hear the improvement even from her kitchen.

There really are loads of them on the market now though - if demonstrating at the big shows their use is pretty much assumed if you want to be taken seriously....

I bought one for the thrill of it. The cheapest possible, one of those £40 MF jobbies. It is very unstable. I tried talking about it at the pub but they didn’t take me seriously
Well that sums the subject up perfectly... the pub is the place that blokes go to talk utter bollocks, this was a stretch too far even for the pub!

Funnily enough, one of the things about having Hi-Fi as a hobby I have found, is that there is very little in the way of accessories that are of any use to you. A stylus brush, TW scales and I am struggling a bit after that TBH!

That’s why Russ Andrews is a true master of his craft; selling you stuff that you don’t, need and will have no benefit at exorbitant prices!

I think top end loudspeaker co' Westlake Audio got into selling these but I was never quite sure if they weren't doing it for a laugh.

When I was into mountain biking, I'd come back from a really great ride, and then send off for a new CNC machined stem, or some titanium brake caliper bolts, even though I was fully aware that the weakest link was the engine, and a red anodised widget wasn't going to make any difference at all to my bike's performance. It was just a present to my bike to show that I loved it. I think some hifi widgets fall into the same category. I have no need to change my speaker cables, and I will probably never change my speakers, so I bought them some really nice WBT spade connectors, as the original 4mm plugs on my cables didn't go all the way into the binding-post/sockets on my speakers and the gap annoyed me. Electrically and sonically I guess they are identical, but they look nice, and help convince my friends that I'm as mad as a box of frogs.

To get back on topic, Enid Lumley suggested the cable lifter idea, maybe 20+ years ago, and I did try it, and it made no discernible difference, but, in theory, you may be moving a cable further away from an interference source under the floor, so you may accidentally improve things, if there was a problem in the first place.

Definitely for the nerd herd.
I used to avoid this crowd like the plague, so I did ok Mick P :D

I'm surprised someone has admitted to owning such a ridiculous object.

No, the ‘Off Topic’ section of pfm is where blokes go to to talk utter boolocks :).
There's some truth to that... but if I were to record some of the conversations that go on after 1.30AM on a Sunday morning in my local, you'd see what I mean. There's a couple of old boys who sit at one end of the bar talking to each other about two or more totally different subjects at a time and neither one of them seems to realise it... one can be talking about cars and the other about how to roast the perfect joint of beef... in a slurred and incoherent manner of course.:D

If the OP is serious (which I doubt) he has the necessary accessories, at least, to put his "c*ck on the block", as they say!

advertisement

Back