advertisement

CA DacMagic - any good?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Wanted primarily for TV/AV duties (2 channel only) but if this beastie is good enough I'd be prepared to also try connecting the SB+ digital outputs (and the CDP too). A tad more than I was planning to spend (if it were to be TV/AV only) but looks quite nice and not daftly priced either...

I got a used dacmagic from here for the same use you intend to put it to, for Freesat tv and radio as well as DVD in the kitchen. Works very nicely.

Dacmagic is pretty good - like the 740 and 840 CD players it suffers from the "badge snobbery" of some potential buyers.

I've had a lot of DACs (started in the '90s as I was interested in the digital domain and spent a lot of time with different transports and DACs including a rather nice dpa reference DAC. When looking to try out a squeezebox based system I auditioned both MF and CA and preferred the CA. The MF is more compact (and certainly the Mk II looks a lot better) but lacks the balanced out of the CA. There was not a huge gulf between them but it eventually came down to the CA being more "fluid and well balanced" whilst retaining the dynamics and analytical ability of the V-DAC.

advertisement

Back